[RESOLVED] ISSUE Cold Cut Saw Blade Broken

ISSUE or REQUEST: issue

Affected Tool or Resource: Cold Cut Saw

Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. A list of current groups that can be “mentioned” is maintained at this LINK.): @Team_Machine_Shop

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):

Cold Cut Saw Blade is broken, and the saw is unusable till it is replaced

It broke when I was cutting a piece off the end of a 1"x3/16" flat stock with out it being clamped in both sides of the vice. I was shown how to do this when i was trained but it bent the smaller stock. I would be happy to replace the blade, I found some but not one the exact same type, so if someone tells me which to use I’ll change it. I can also pay for the cost of the blade if I need too. I recommend we add a minimum size for cutting stock when it isn’t clamped on both sides to the class teaching.

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

:bulb: If you are reporting or resolving an equipment issue, please also update the tool status board appropriately.
:warning: NOTE: This category is NOT for discussion threads. Any “discussion” will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate “discussion thread”.

You don’t have to replace the blade.

What is the thickness and width of material and how was it orientated in the vise, e.g. wide flat at bottom or standing on edge? This will let us know what to watch out for in the future.

Thanks.

I don’t know if we have another fine pitch blade. We may need to try one of the coarse blades.

I actually took a picture, it probably would have been safe if I’d laid it down flat.

What was width and thickness of material, picture doesn’t show material.

May as well, they are doing us no good never using them.

Sorry it was 1"x3/16" about 5’ long, clamped up right, its hard to see but if you look in the picture clamped on the right side you can see how it bent back and torqued the blade

1 Like

Angle iron? Or flat stock?

From the picture, it’s flat. Clamped in one jaw, weak axis against the force of the blade teeth. The saw looks to have made it just far enough in to the material for it to bind when the material bent.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s flat stock

1 Like

So this would be something I’d likely try to cut…how would be best to cut it? …move the jaws way in?

@EthanWestern, was it between both section of jaws? It doesn’t look like it to me. The best option is to have between all the jaws. You may have noticed more chatter than normal.

If not between the jaws, best for small thin material is band saw. Cold Cut Saw as part of its process exerts a pretty strong downward force.

You might try putting a sacrificial thicker piece behind it. Could even be two pieces with gap where blade goes. I’d suggest something fairly stout: minimum of 1/4 in or could be square tubing.

I’ll try some and see how it works.

2 Likes

Appears to me the jaws are adjustable side to side and could be brought closer together to have a smaller span for the piece to bridge. That would provide better support for the cut.

4 Likes

Only clamped on one side

these two are the best approaches.

1 Like

Moving jaws together is good, if still a gap then use backer-plate.

Need to get a T-handled Hex wrench to keep with saw/

The blade has now been replaced. It is a more aggressive blade.

4 Likes