ISO: The Guy w/the Orange(ish) MiniCooper

A nice and helpful guy loaned me a can of MAF cleaner I’d like to return. He was putting performance shocks on his mini-Cooper in Auto a few weeks back. Anyone know how to get in touch with him? Or his name, even?

1 Like

Classic mini or new mini?

1 Like

@Omnomsan This one?

1 Like

I haven’t been at the space since before lockdown, and haven’t touched my suspension. Wasn’t me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kenneth Johnson is right! It wasn’t him. :–)

no peeking!

https://youtu.be/3NaQxUEfxt0?t=13

1 Like

Classic…no, no, new! (kaboom) Ahhhggggggggg…

no peeking!

https://youtu.be/pWS8Mg-JWSg?t=72

In other words, I don’t know…I didn’t realize there was more than one kind.

(expounding mode on)
They quit importing the Minis, in all their variety, back in … um… 1968, as they didn’t want to comply with the new US requirements for the front grill/bumper area. They brought them back, properly updated to comply, a few years back. So, you’ll have a different look, at least for the grill/bumper area, on the new ones.

And I don’t think you can get the Austin Cooper S anymore…

3 Likes

Firstly, my hats off to anyone who can keep track of the British coach/auto manufacturers throughout the years. However, the Austin Mini Cooper (and S variant) ceased to be sold in 1971, though in that same year one properly positioned (in Italy, and Spain, respectively) to so do could acquire an Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 or an Authi Mini Cooper 1300 which were nominally the same vehicle as the no-longer-available-in-England “Mini Cooper”. The next major revival of the Cooper nameplate was when RSP (Rover Specialty Products) attached it to some very popular Minis in the early 1990s, sparking the trend that continues with today’s German-licensed variety (BMW), all of which are now Mini Coopers, including the Clubman and Countryman (blasphemy, some say).

So, if you’re keeping score, that’s no less than 5 “manufacturer” names for “the Mini” and/or “the Mini Cooper”, and that, my friends, is a brief, and conditioned version of the twisted, contorted, tortuous history of “the Mini”; check out British auto makers any time you’d like to practice navigating convolution. Thar it be in spades.

PS. Sorry, @mblatz I hurled my best guess out there and have no backup guesses at this point. Unlike the manufacturer history, my guess is pretty simplistic with this as the singular example of “orange Mini” in my recollection, “classic” or otherwise.

4 Likes

No worries… I caught your Blazing Saddles reference!

For clarification… it wasn’t me. Mine is currently grey.

3 Likes

Awesome history of the Mini nameplate.

Now do “Cobra.” :rofl:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes