ISO someone that can create a 3d scan and stl files

Hi all,

I have a fairly large project that uses the cases below but the supplier is limited in supply of the cases I’m using nor do they come in colors that I would need. While the cases are really small (see photo below and the cluster being built at the interactive computer museum), I need about 40+ units which I’ll print out myself.

However since I’m not skilled in 3d CAD design nor have been trained on the 3d scanner. I would like one to scan a case I do have currently and hopefully improve on it to use less parts (currently is six individual self locking parts, would be nice to be three or so interlocking parts) and have the stl file so tweaking can be done on case size or minor styling changes for further versions of the project.

Feel free to PM me about fair compensation and any further details.

Have you checked Thingiverse for a case that might match, or at least be close enough ?

There are LOTS of RPi cases there. Might be an easier starting point at least.

1 Like

You might be able to get it down two parts are possibly even one. Two would probably eliminate a lot of support clean-up.

thanks for the suggestion. I may look into those as a plan b, as all the ones on there are quite broad and do not stack well for the real estate available and only a few mount to a din rail.

Would be three because of the rail slider lock unless someone is able to do some 3d printer magic and make the slider lock apart of the case

A candidate that might work:

2 Likes

Does it have to be a scan?

How important is the aesthetic aspect of this case in particular? Specifically, would anything roughly box-shaped that mounts on a rail work, or do you need nitpicky details like the vent holes and precise curvature preserved to under 0.005"?

A good find, thanks.

I’m more of a function over form kind of guy but since this is going to be on display in the museum it must look good.

If one is wanting to create the model from scratch instead of scanning then I’m all for that.

Only criteria is looks good, has enough space to place arbutrary circuits/cables in next to the gpio headers, easy to print, good airflow, and holds the board in the same plane as seen in the photo.

I would do this from scratch, with maybe a picture of your original case so I could get “kinda close” to the look.

3D scans are for when you need to know something about the actual geometry for some reason: inspection, interfacing with something that’s consistently not to the drawing, structural analysis of true geometry (as opposed to the idealized CAD), etc. If you don’t need it, it just adds complexity.

2 Likes