Is Woodshop Basic a prerequisite for the Lathe class?

Is Woodshop Basic a prerequisite for the Lathe class?

I’d like to learn how to properly use the woodshop lathe. Is the woodshop basics class a prerequisite for the lathe class?

I don’t believe so, I have been through both fairly recently and neither class cross referenced anything from the other class. As a matter of fact, someone in the Woodshop Basic class had mentioned that he had already taken the Lathe Basic class.

When I started I took the Lathe Basic class before I took the Woodshop Basic class. As these are both covering entirely separate aspects, and the Woodshop Basics doesn’t cover the lathe with the exception of a mention that it’s a separate class, they are not dependent on each other.

@Team_Woodshop :blankspace:

I don’t make it a prerequisite when I teach, but recommend it. For instance, you might want to use the drill press (when its working :() to prepare blanks, or the bandsaws to cut down blanks. So, in short, you are kind of limited to what you can turn until you take basics.

2 Likes

Same here, I was lathe trained before woodshop basics. Mostly because getting into a class was difficult

Reason enough, thank you.

Are the drillpress, the bandsaw and the scroll saw covered in the wood shop basics now

They werent when I took the basics class a couple of years ago

They are not. :blankspace:

They are part of the overview section of the class, but not part of the hands-on portion.

Do you have to have the basics class to use them? I think a lot folks are confused on that

This is instructor-dependent. The committee has not dictated WsB as a pre-req for the lathe class, but an individual instructor could require it. I am not aware of one who does. The calendar will allow you to sign up for the lathe class without taking WsB if that’s how the instructor has set it up. But like Jeff @jlcourtman says, instructors recommend taking WsB so you have the flexibility to cut and drill your workpiece to prepare it for turning.

1 Like

Thanks. Since I can cut and drill on my own equipment, I’m going to get in wherever I can on whichever gets offered. Ya’ll have been great, thanks.