Is training required for the foot shear machine?

Is training required for the foot shear machine? I have downloaded it’s manual

No it is not. We do have documentation on the committee drive about it.

1 Like

Key thing is note what the maximum gage is for different material: Alum vs Mild Steel vs SS

Good for you! Great 2nd step (the first was asking when you weren’t sure about something!!)

Also, a great resource and de rigeur first stop for anyone here with regard to tool questions is this link:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools

If you find something out of date or not covered on that page, let the appropriate committee know about it…that’s how things get do-ocracy’d around here. :–)

1 Like

Keep in mind it is a foot stomp shear. It takes some force to use. I’d say two Chris units of force. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Key thing is material thickness. Also, when talking about material thickness in gages, be very aware that gage varies in thickness in terms of inches or millimeters, by material type: 20 ga cold rolled steel is .030", mild steel is .036" while while Aluminum is .063". That’s why I prefer giving thickness in inches … even for things not going to the moon. Big thing to know if using steel is it Cold Rolled or Mild Steel (SS is pretty obvious … especially when you buy it) as the hardness is very different.

But as other have said: Good on You for looking it up and asking!

Chart from Shear Manual

1 Like