Is this table saw blade ok?

I had mentioned it at the recent Woodshop Basics class but I didn’t have the specs on it but the instructors said most thin blades weren’t allowed. This one is made specifically for larger shops and specifically mentions not needing stiffeners.

It’s a 6" blade, .06" thick but for the final 1/4" which is .023"

It’s used with a sled jig to cut frets for instruments. You can take forever to do it by hand but this blade makes it take only minutes

Here’s a link to the manufacturer’s website

and here’s a video of them using it on a similar large shop table saw

1 Like

What’s the arbor diameter?

The website says 5/8".

It’s not usable on the Saw Stop, because the cartridges only support 10" blades. It might be usable on the Delta (when I finish fixing it). We’d need to meet with you and check it out and see how it works.

Check with me, Andrew, or one of the committee stewards, and lets see whether it will work. Delta should be back up Friday, with some luck tomorrow night.

1 Like

Awesome thank you for your quick reply! I’ll go ahead and get one of these, worse case I can buy a cheap/used portable saw and use it just for fretting.

If it doesn’t work out I might use the lasers as I’ve taken that course or the CNC router but I missed the class and don’t know if we have bits small enough (.023") or honestly enough about the CNC besides reading other Guitar builders having more reliable results with it than the laser.

1 Like

Hi Dennis!

Have you considered buying something like the table saw from Jim Byrnes? Byrnes Model Machines makes some awesome gear for small/fine work. His table saw uses a 4" diameter blade. He sells Thurston blades as well.

Of course, if you’re just building one instrument it might not be worth it, but if you plan to do it more than once this gear is top-notch! The thickness sander is also awesome for fine work.

1 Like

If your just doing one instrument, even the jig nescessary to use the OP blade is really not worth the effort. Cutting fret kerfs by hand isn’t that tough…

For sure, I plan on doing 2-4 within the next month and the blade should last a good while. I also was thinking of teaching a class or creating a group that could all use it as it’s the “standard” size

1 Like

Thank’s for the link John! These are great looking smaller machines but they are a bit pricey and I live in an apartment so they wouldn’t get the space they deserve. I was thinking a cheap harbor freight mini table saw that I only use for fretting that can live in a box.