Is there really equality

I feel you man I played 4 year college and 3 years men

3 Likes

You went to UTD right? I played at UTD for a year back in like 2003 I think.

2 Likes

Safety third!

I think a lot of people misunderstand the cause of this phenomenon. We have created a system where colleges can increase their rates by any amount they choose and the demand is not reduced. This is a direct result of government funding of college tuition with zero controls other than economic hardship. There is no cost/value assessment for the tax payer footing the bill. If the student can get accepted to the college, the government will pay part or all of the tuition, depending on economic status. The net effect is that as colleges raise tuition more middle class students can not afford the tuition; this opens up seats that colleges fill with economically disadvantaged students, paid for by the middle class tax payers that canā€™t afford the same tuition. There is also little competitive pressure between colleges to fill seats. The more seats open the more demand shows up with a Pell Grant in hand. Tuition skyrockets unchecked because demand is unlimited at any price. This isnā€™t the collegesā€™ fault; this is a predictable economic system that congress created enabled by voters.

Like any good organization colleges flush with money spend it to enhance their facilities. I can hardly find fault with that. If we want to fix this then we need to recognize that the economic system is causing the problem.

2 Likes

Yup. STEM or gender studies, career path or barista path, it is all the same to loan companies. A better system would look at the median income of graduates in that field and use that to give loans.

1 Like

Donā€™t we have the same system in health care vs insurance companies?

1 Like

Yeah man I was there

1 Like

Small world, I played for Sam Houston in 03. Started at flanker before moving into the back line. Fairly sure we played UTD that season, but canā€™t seem to recall the result. We won state that year, 2nd in the region and 7th in the nation.

1 Like

We played against Sam at the Cowtown Tournament that year. I was the biggest guy in our scrum and would have been about the 2nd smallest for Sam lol. We had a lot of guys get hurt that day, including me. Started the day with only 15 and no bench, I think we finished with 6 healthy!

3 Likes

Ok, I do remember that match now that you mention it. I was the #7.

2 Likes

I was #4, made it through that match unscathed but in our last match I broke my tailbone and bruised my ribs. But of course I played the rest of the season b/c rugby.

2 Likes

Military will pay for education

1 Like

Iā€™m in the middle of this now. My oldest son just finished has second year at UTD. Luckily my grandparents on both sides setup trusts for my kids.

Even then it is absolutely shocking to write $15,000 checks every semester to go to a public school.

Thought of cashing some out and sending him to Shenzhen to invent something.

4 Likes