Is there another HAAS class coming soon?

I missed the last class and would like to learn how to use the HAAS.

Not for awhile. We lost access to the FeatureCAM software that the class material was developed for and have to switch to HSM CAM software.

That means that people need to learn to use the new software THEN develop new class material. I would guess it will be at least January before you see a HAAS class again.

you can start by learning HSMworks (as must we all) and Autodesk Fusion 360.
since thatā€™s what youā€™ll have to know to create your designs and toolpaths.
There are lots of free tutorials out on the web.

1 Like

You can also take the upcoming Shapeko class to use that machine to test any g code you produce in practice using the approach @nicksilva describes above. Many of the skills will translate.

Inventor > Fusion360
Although they use the same CAM kernel (HSMWorks).
Iā€™m not sure if HSM for Fusion360 is free but we do get Inventor/HSM.

Fusion 360 does now include HSM in the same package. It also appears that AutoDesk has switch to Fusion 360 as their primary CAD/CAM package.

Which CAD/CAM program(s) can we use to generate code for the HAAS? From what I think I understand, there is HSM WORKS (which runs inside of Solidworks), there is Inventor HSMWorks which requires Inventor LT, Inventor, or Inventor Professional, and there is Fusion 360 which has its own built in CAD software.

I also read Fusion uses the same CAM kernel as HSMWORKS and Inventor HSMWORKS.

However, I believe I heard that only Inventor HSMWorks files will be accepted. Is this correct?

the haas and many major cnc mills use fanuc gcode to drive them. It really doesnā€™t matter what program generates it as long as the tool references are basically correct. One limitation may be how efficient the software is. Our HAAS only has 75kbytes of memory. you read that right 75k. Iā€™m a masterCam user and it can be quite inefficient on some more complex toolpathing. But, it would work on the haas if if fits. I think standardizing on what we use at DMS is useful for several reasons:

1. we have free access to the software as an educational institution.
  2. the more people that have a similar knowledge base (Inventor or solid works) the better to help.
  3. See #1

For the class I will be teaching you will need to use Fusion 360 and the HSM within fusion 360. I will need to QC your work and I donā€™t want to learn three different packages. So using the same software I am will facilitate that. After you have independent access to the HAAS you can use Solidworks, Inventor, or Fusion 360 since all use the same CAM software.

As a DMS member you have access to all three packages on the Jump Server or you can request a student license for home use.

1 Like

Walter, when is this class going live? Iā€™m dying to get checked off on the HAAS.

What happened to feature cam?

The liscense expired and we had to move to HSM.

the other part of the story is that Autodesk bought Delcam (which makes featurecam) and did away with all perpetual licences. So you now have to have a recurring ā€˜subscriptionā€™ if you want to play. I hate subscriptions. :rage:

Donā€™t they offer two different free memberships? Why does everyone hate autodesk?

Weā€™ve got big shoes to fill in the wake of Bryanā€™s departure. Expect that it will be well into January before the HAAS training resumes.

Bahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahahahahhaha

yes, they offer a free 3 year student memberships and I like their products. HOWEVER, as a small business owner I donā€™t want to be paying extortion every year. If they want to sell a product, then sell it and be done with it.

You should really become comfortable with kissing that business model goodbye.
Put yourself on the other side of the equation, and itā€™s easy to see subscription-based services is the way to go.
(I donā€™t LIKE it any more than you, but Iā€™ve come to realize itā€™s probably actually better for everyone involved, providing steady and predictable income streams INTO the producer and steady, predictable payout for the consumer)

1 Like

My problem is poorly supported backwards compatibility and meaningless ā€œupdatesā€ which equate to moving the commonly used tools to a different spot.

1 Like