Is there an easy way to get a car on dollies

A retired friend of mine in Iowa asked me if I knew of an easy way to get a car onto dollies, I don’t have a clue how this is done but obviously couldn’t let him know that. Im guessing some sort of air operated jack. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks

1 Like

Without a wench or vehicle running, time proven method is cold beer to lure willing volunteers to push.

2 Likes

It really depends on the current state of the vehicle and it’s location. Fully aired tires holding air in a paved garage is one thing. Sitting in a field for 15 years is another.

First get the vehicle to a stable location, then get it in the air the best way possible. For example, if its in the field and you can drag it onto a path, thats better.

Get a cheap set of wheels on it that hold air will make everything easier.

1 Like

I’ve used ratchet straps to pull cars on to car dolly’s before. Its not ideal but doable

1 Like

I think it is a triumph TR3. In his garage. Not why he uses dollies, might be a storage issue to get it in his shop over the long iowa winter

I’m unsure - are you talking about car dollies, which are individual metal “buckets” that have casters on them, usually for rolling around a very smooth shop floor? For that, all you need is a jack.

https://www.zoro.com/auto-dolly-car-dollies-12-x-16-in-6000-lb-pk4-m998002/i/G4107792/feature-product?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO60bz2S1zRAPLZ9psNDwKtYVtI5Ffb9uKLtYAuMe1zlcjif_7aH0qyRoC6xQQAvD_BwE

Or if you’re talking about a trailer to tow it with, you can get a comealong for about $25 at your local Chinese-made-tool-supplier.

https://www.toolots.com/kh4000-qb.html?cid=8696725823&gclid=CjwKCAjw5p_8BRBUEiwAPpJO6-F_JsU7gEMDTChAmm_ABBV7Z3ASUBULR01hJK6pQYOosU9B_kZ0BRoCS60QAvD_BwE

2 Likes

I’m guessing getting down low to get a jack positioned is a challenge, hopefully we will all live long enough to have that problem.

if that is the case, perhaps investing a few extra bux into “GoJax” might be helpful. Kind of a jack/dolly in one (well, 4).

There are also hydraulic versions…

3 Likes

Awesome solution, I’ll pass it on.
Thanks

1 Like

I’d suggest a trip to Bay Cargo.