Is there a Machine Shop 101 class?

I just joined the Dallas Makerspace and am looking to see if there is a class for instruction on the suite of tools available in the machine shop? This area is one of the main areas I would love to learn at the makerspace. Also I looked through the calendar and did not see any HAAS training classes listed, any idea when those will become available?

1 Like

There isn’t a 101 per say. There are two major classes, the 13" lathe class and the Bridgeport mill class. Those will also cover the two saws. Those classes are usually offered once a month as teachers can. Sherlines don’t have a class, but once you’ve taken the other two classes someone can talk you through the Sherlines and get you certified on them fairly quickly. HAAS doesn’t currently have any classes. They are training instructors from what I gather right now. I assume classes to follow. It’s a 6 hour class though from what I understand. I hope that helps and welcome to the space!

For the mill and lathe classes, there is a self-study piece. Click the link below and find the self-study links for each. You’ll want to complete those on your own and write down the answers: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Machine_Shop

3 Likes

We had a new member with a good bit of Tormach experience join last night. I practically begged her to get involved and consider teaching some classes :slight_smile:

Here’s to hoping that she’s willing to do so!

6 Likes

Awesome, thank you for the information! I am looking forward to learning!

Also note the primary lathe and Bridgeport have a Self Study portion before the main class. Completion of the self study helps us determine how many people are waiting on classes and set scheduling.

The self study can be found on the Wiki under the Machine shop committee

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Ran the tormach out of tech shops, SF, SJ, Austin, for years and wanted to get going in dallas. HAAS experience in college at Oklahoma State and Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering BS and MEng.

Would love to get the classes running quickly.

3 Likes