Is there a driveway area that can double as a work area out back?

Would like an area outdoors to do stuff like headlight polishing, maybe some basic maintenance, etc. Was wondering if something like a driveway out back was available before I join. Would prefer not to work indoors.

I generally work on my vehicles out back because most of the time the bay is full or I need to run the engine to do the work. It’s not against any rules I know of, just don’t steal tools.

Thanks. And is it fairly wide and spacious? I don’t want a situation where there’s cars parked all around the area all the time, and stuff starts blowing all over other cars downwind if I’m spraying something down. I guess I might have to stop by again just to check it out.

Red is my understanding of our parking, blue is a great place to work on stuff because you can get power and air.

1 Like

That is very helpful, thank you!

Yes, I would say there is an overspray situation pretty much no matter what.

There is no dedicated parking for any of the businesses I believe.

In any case, be sure to clean up after yourselves. Especially anything sharp.

2 Likes

How does that hold up against https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/vehicle-needs-to-be-moved-asap-or-it-will-be-towed/13595?u=clone1018 ? Was that because it was blocking their ramp?

Yes, blocking a neighbors access to their site was the problem. All spots are ‘owned’ by the land lord, hence why they are the only ones who can actually have a vehicle towed. The tenants need to request the towing.

Park up close to the bldng for afternoon/evening shade.
Overspray is a no no. Put down cardboard, tarp, etc.
Overspray on another vehicle will get you persona non grata. Just don’t.
On weekends I’d say any part of the back parking lot is fair game.
If you’re concerned about overspray, bring a tarp, park far away from other cars and have at it.
Got questions? Ask.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not explicitly dedicated, though there is a loosely defined capacity. The Landlord gets involved, when cars block other business’ access, or are left overnight, or are just an eyesore.

3 Likes

Hopefully my jeep will be running today LOL

I’ve tried to avoid working out back more recently here, as I was informed that it’s technically a lease violation… haven’t seen the lease or anything, but I had no reason not to believe the person that said it, so now I’m more likely to only do quick things out back if both bays happen to be occupied.

2 Likes

If that’s the case it would be great to know so I can stop helping break the lease.

I am speaking unofficially with regard to lease, but I think it really just a matter of scope of work, and being careful and considerate. If we don’t give the other tenants (or our members) any cause to complain, it should be OK.

1 Like

I think that no small percentage of automotive work at DMS gets done in the back lot.

Be considerate, avoid inadvertently waterproofing square yards of pavement, don’t chip the pavement, clean up after yourself and it should be fine. I’d also suggest not doing work that’s going to require more than 15-30 minutes of setup/teardown.

3 Likes