Is the Drum Sander up? Yes! 3/10/21. For now

Hello! Question for anyone around the space now or someone who may know… I’m planning a trip up there and would like to know if the Drum Sander is back up yet or no? I can’t tell looking at the camera :frowning:

Thanks!

It is not as far as I know. The last few parts just arrived and I’ll get those to @Andy this weekend to finish up.

3 Likes

Is the Drum Sander up?

I dont think so.

It is not. It was up for an evening but then had some further issues that are now being remedied.

Sorry it’s taking so long. The delay is mostly that every time I have to order parts the lead time on them is at least 2 weeks before they ship. Once they’re at DMS, we seem to do a good job getting the parts on the machine quickly.

Super annoying that it takes 2 weeks to pull a part off the shelf and ship it out to us.

2 Likes

Are we talking about a minimum of two more weeks to get in the new parts? I am just trying to schedule some work and also look for other options for my sanding problems? I have 200 3/8 x 1 x 48 slats that need to be sanded before I can assemble them into charcuterie trays.

(http://www.instagram.com/godfrey4783/)

Yes. The latest parts were ordered 1/8. Add average 21 days before they are in our hands.

Yes, we shopped around trying to faster delivery times. For some reason every reseller we looked at was a minimum 14 day lead time to ship. Ordering direct from manufacture was 6week lead.

Is there some particular part or set of parts that gets replaced more frequently? It might be worth having a spare unless they’re high $$$.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

Great question.

There was one circuit board which has been replaced 3 times in the last few years, and has been considered to be the main cause of machine going down.

If I’m understanding the current diagnosis… We now believe that this board has been going out because one of the daughter boards was damaged and was in turn damaging the master board. Both are being replaced this go-round and should (“hopefully”) fix the entire issue.

2 Likes

But to answer your question a little further this is actually what they do, for instance about a month ago the combination sander and wouldn’t turn on (which of course it was the switch, jet makes great tools but they haven’t quite figured out how to make a on off switch that doesn’t suck) so I grabbed a spare in the drawer popped it on so in that specific case the down time for the machine with a broken part was minimal, so depending on cost it might be doable with the circuitboard but thats in the committees ballpark so we’ll see what they decide is feasible

Sounds like we need to take the equipment back several decades. Back to when they weren’t putting electronics into equipment.

6 Likes

Words truer, ne’er spoken.

1 Like

How long do we have until it is up and running again?

1/8/21 plus 30 days give or take volunteer time and an apocalypse post inauguration.

Hands down, back when powermatic was US made those things were tanks, just like the pm66 table saw but once they moved production to Indonesia I believe they haven’t been the brand they once were

What needs to be done to fix it. I have time.

The replacement parts have to come in. We have the bodies to fix, but not the parts. They take nearly a month to arrive.

Ok thanks for the update

Update: the required parts have still not come In. After no response to several phone calls, messages and emails, I’ve re-ordered the parts from a different company.

The first company is based in California so I’m wondering if they got shut down and that’s why I can’t get ahold of anyone.

Regardless, the parts are now estimated to ship to us from the new company in 11-15 days, with a 2 day ship time. So look to have this machine up sometime first week of March.

Sorry about the issues… covid blah blah blah non-responsive vendors blah blah blah ginger blah blah blah.

6 Likes