Is Solidworks Still Available?

Is Solidworks still available on any of the computers at the space? I can’t seem to find it on any of the pillar lab, cafeteria-lab, or 3D fab lab computers.

I also tried using the 2017 version on the jump servers, but it said the license hasn’t been renewed and threw up a complaint about low disk space.

1 Like

@David_A_Tucker … ??

@infrastructure should have the answers to these questions. I don’t. Ask them.

But, . . . we’ve been struggling to update the Jump Server license for a while. Solidworks (Dassault) gave us an upgrade code but we can’t use it because we’re running the “wrong” software on the Jump Server.

Why not get your personal license? All you have to do is authenticate your membership status to me by getting your green dot (click below) and then agree to the terms herein (click below):

1 Like

A while back, we obtained permission from Dassault to put Solidworks licenses on a limited number of computers around the Makerspace for classroom/educational use.

Kevin Patel implemented that somehow.

I don’t know what computers he put them on or where they are.

Again, ask Infrastructure about it.

2 Likes

Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, Beth!

And thank you for your response, @David_A_Tucker. I think we actually spoke back in 20’ or 21’ about the student license, but i was still using the jump server at the time. Been a busy couple years, but tryna get back into designing again.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the jump server! That’s great about the student license though. I’ll go through the green dot verification and request a student license.

I’ll reach out to @infrastructure in the mean time as well.

Thanks so much for the quick response and posting the student license instructions.

1 Like

@checker18

1 Like

David, there is no record I can find in ‘infrastructure’ of Solidworks being deployed on any DMS computers besides the version on Jump. If Kevin Patel did something he will need to answer such questions.

Regrettably, he’s not a member anymore, so I’m not exactly sure how to reach him. Do you have a phone number for him?

Anyway, the licenses he put on the system would’ve been one-year licenses, so they’ve probably expired anyway. Y’all just need to put student/maker licenses on the desired computers. You should already have the master code, but if not I’ll send it to you by private DM.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records:

PLANCHARD Marie [email protected]

To:David Tucker

Cc:[email protected],Ryan Karonka,MORSE Christine,D Smart

Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 5:56 AM

Hi David.

You have my permission to do so. Regards. Marie

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 14, 2020, at 8:29 PM, David Tucker <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Marie:

I respectfully ask your permission to modify the terms the Solidworks license agreement between the Dallas Makerspace and Dessault so that we may better promote your software.

We are planning to create a Computer Classroom/Lab where instructors can periodically teach maker-related software like Solidworks, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, V-Carve, Python, Arduino programming, Microsoft Office, RD Works, and the like. There is a strong likelihood that we would invite-in your local resellers to conduct classes periodically if they so wished. I believe this project serves both our interests.

So, we want to have a limited number of dedicated computers/laptops available where students could log-on to a student/maker copy of Solidworks to use in class or for self-study. The current terms of our agreement with Dessault only allows us to give temporary licenses to our members individually. It doesn’t provide for a licensed computer seat where any student can use it to teach or learn the software – whether in class or not.

Therefore, we ask your permission to load student copies of Solidworks on to our classroom computers so that any student taking a class or using the lab can use that program. Access would be given only to those having the Makerspace’s specific permission, and if you require it and give us the necessary technical help, we would limit access to the program to those students using a specific password. We would probably start with 10 for a year or two and then expand to up to 20 computers as class sizes increase.

If you require, we can formally modify our current agreement. However, if you are content to let us use some of our student/maker licenses for this purpose, it would suffice for you to consent by reply email.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Very truly yours,

David Allen Tucker

member of the Dallas Makerspace

on behalf of the Dallas Makerspace, Inc.

2 Likes