Is requesting complicated and expensive help a nuisance

I would think we all like to help each other out with projects, but at what point is asking others a nuisance. And where can you go to get help? I hear there are places for asking for help from a sub contractor.

I think it depends on the type of help and time commitment. Something complicated to you may take 10 mins to someone who’s been doing it for 20 years, and vice versa something simple may not be as. Also depends if it’s help on commercial product vs personal interest/project

1 Like

It never hurts to ask and if the asking is done politely and with due respect for the fact that the recipient of the request might be knees-deep in their own project (i.e., don’t ask someone who has fresh glue just spread on their parts but hasn’t assembled them), I think most people wouldn’t mind.

But I wouldn’t expect someone else to drop everything at the last moment to help me finish my in-over-my-head commercial project while they’re working on a cutting board for their dad’s birthday.

Short story long, it becomes a nuisance when it happens too often, happens at inopportune times that should have been obvious to the asker or is phrased in a way that fails to communicate some measure of humbleness in having to ask.

Edit to add: I don’t know what complicated and expensive means (well, I sort of do because I’m married with a kid) but more context might help.

2 Likes