Is mongeese the plural of mongoose?

Shouldn’t the plural be mongeese?

3 Likes

I was pretty sure Kory Stamper included why goose>geese!=mongoose>mongeese in her video on plural formation…but I haven’t found it in the usual places…probably explained by this

Thanks, MW. What an idiotic move! Kory’s videos were the best! Not that I don’t enjoy Ms. Brewster’s or Mr. Sokolowski’s but they just don’t demonstrate the verve for dictionarying that Ms. Stamper did. :frowning:

Love Kory Stamper! Was sad when she left Merriam-Webster, she had that subtle smile that said “Did you get the joke or pun I put in there.”

Defenestration video is one of my favorites.

Do you play the timed word games?

1 Like

I know not of which you speak, so I think it’s safe to say “No”… :smiley:

How did you find Kory and not the rest! Okay, for folks not into all things nerdy and lexicon, you can stop reading.

Here is one of the current quizzes, enjoy.

1 Like

These have stopped for me…with the pandemic. I need to resub, probably…
And no, I don’t particularly enjoy most of their games…
Speed is rarely a goal of mine, and it usually shows

PS I found it. I was wrong; doesn’t cover mongeeses.

Treasure Trove:
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Kory_Stamper

1 Like

Using the rules in here, I doubt Mongoose is a foreign (anglo-saxon origin word like Moose) but mongooses sound more proper tnon-han mongeese …something that eats cobras doesn’t sound geesy to me.

Well just looked it up …

2 Likes

Thank goodness that was conclusive! Put the kibash on that little debate once and for all!

2 Likes

I am a NERD for word origins.

1 Like

One of my favorite sites… can spend hours on there, like a yootoob rabbit hole, but try to refrain most days…

1 Like

A. That was a straight copy-paste from a google lookup. So that’s not my direct fault.
B. I certainly enjoyed all the etymology.

1 Like

OK, so it has been established that Mongeese (Or Mongooses) means several Mongoose… MY question is… what about MonGANDERS? I saw Mongeese (Or Monganders… or a Mix… I didn’t check them) when I visited Tanzania in the early 2000’s. Only thing I am sure of is that they ran across open spaces and back to cover again, in a “V” formation… nature is weird… leave it alone!

1 Like

I think they may be related to Michiganders? They have well a defined habitat range in North Central US. See also: Rust Belt for habitat’s primary characteristics.

I suppose the Austrailiaus Taz Gandus you speak of probably run counter-clockwise formation due to the Coriolis effect of the southern hemisphere. I wouldn’t be surprised if they screech “Crikey” when they run in a Vee-formation… This is all highly speculative and imaginative on my part. But it could be.

2 Likes

WOW! Why isn’t this information on Wikipedia? I’m starting to doubt the internet…NAW!..

2 Likes