Is it time to rebuild the calipers?

So does one brake pad set wear out faster than the others typically? My front drivers side was way done while the others weren’t even at the wear markers… does this make you think the calipers need rebuilding?

Front Driver’s side

Front Passenger’s side

1 Like

This is nearly always the hardware the caliper or pads are running on, not the caliper. The caliper itself would usually be a wheel that drags, and wears both pads. But those symptoms are more likely a plugged brake line.

Separately, last I checked, remanufactued calipers were cheaper than rebuild kits for most cars.

2 Likes

Calipers rarely need rebuilt, in my experience. It’s usually supporting hardware that causes issues (i.e. sliding pins, hoses, etc.).
This condition usually (in my experience) means the sliders are binding.
This is indicated by:

• the wearing of one side of vehicle more than the other
  • the wearing of one of the pads on that disk more than the other

This is because the caliper is massively powerful in squeeze, and pulls the caliper over on the sliders until the brake squeezes, but then does not release properly because there’s very, very little power (i.e. NO hydraulic power; just elastomer power) behind the release. So it rubs and wears that pad.

Of course, I’m making a LOT of assumptions, but they’re based on the averages in the automotive world (e.g. MOST vehicles out there use sliding calipers, etc.)…

EDIT: oops, I took too long, and Kevin said the same thing, basically. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, thanks for the quick replies.

Ah yes.

I don’t think it was the slide pins…I easily removed them and they all had a good coating of brake grease; albeit impregnated with brake dust at this point, but they were in great shape as far as slide pins go and slid readily. I didn’t see anything that would impede pad retraction…hmm.

So I just did my norm…clean off the brake grease with solvent, sand the pins, clean again, regrease w/ brake grease, and reinstall.

I guess I’ll pull them in a few months and take a look.

1 Like

Which side of the rotor was the worn pad on? It could be a caliper thing, but that’s not my expectation…
Hmmmm, indeed.