Is it safe to cut a plastic project box?

I have a very generic gray plastic project box from Tanners that I would like to cut with the laser. There is no indication of the type of material. I would like to cut an opening for a display and some buttons. Any idea if this is safe or how I could determine if it is safe to laser cut?

Thank you for not lasering without checking.
For those that don’t know, members are responsible for knowing their material and checking it against our Go/No Go list on the wiki. Brady did the right thing by reaching out.

@PearceDunlap advice?

1 Like

Higher than 90% odds that it is PVC, and not valid to cut with the laser.

I suggest either taking advanced CNC class and the multicam, or get checked off on the bridgeport, and do it manually.

2 Likes

Here is the classic simple test:

Take a copper wire, heat it up and touch the plastic. Then take the copper wire (sanded bare) with the plastic residue into a flame. In the case of PVC you should see green color in the flame because copper chlorides are relatively volatile under such conditions. You even don’t need a spectrometer. This is a calssical method for detecting organic chlorine.

I would suggest trying it with known samples of PVC pipe and acrylic plastic to be sure you know the difference to be looking for and that your technique is good.

9 Likes

God help anyone who gets it wrong.
Blitzen was exposed to chorine gas and now its bare metal parts are corroded. Will never run the same.
This material thing is not to be taken lightly.

3 Likes

Thanks for the test. I even have some scrap PVC available. Results will be posted on this string probably late this evening.

We posted simultaneously. I’ll scrap this project. The lasers are safe!

2 Likes

So what you are saying is, @bpamplin should use the Blitzen for his test if he thinks it’s not PVC.

2 Likes

Would be so much simpler if the part had any recycle codes on it:

2 Likes

The Lasersaur also had damage from chlorine. Some folks think a little bit is okay. Or it’s okay cause I only did it once. It’s never okay. Thankfully the chlorine damage has been limited to machines and not people.

5 Likes

Shapeoko would also be a good option for something small.

1 Like

This may be a good sign for the area, put the circle slash around one not allowed.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, category 7 contains both acrylic (good) and polycarbonate (bad.)

2 Likes

Could Circle Red the Bad and green circle the good. But if the other 6 categories are accurate then it would seem a good start and quick look-up/reminder.

2 Likes

Category 6 is also a mixed bag. Some styrofoams bad, others are good.

2 Likes

Okay, not a good idea way too many exceptions.

2 Likes

Agreed (plus twenty characters)

2 Likes

Alternative plan for OP - get some opaque acrylic and cut your design into it, then cut around it in the shape of the box. Saw out the top of the box enough to clear whatever mounts on the lid.

Not quite as simple, but cuts way down on the high precision work not done by a computer.

Todd

1 Like

My fallback plan exactly.

2 Likes