Is it permissible to have cub scout kids near the woodshop area?

Chuck I tagged two of the BOD in my message above so they should be alerted the next time they log in.

Let’s see how the derby goes, but I’d be willing to do a leather and lasers demo for the scouts with a hands on project where they stitch together a simple keychain.

6 Likes

OMG, this looks super awesome.

I agree, let’s see how pinewood derby goes (again, assuming I have permission) and if the kids can handle themselves, let’s have a chat about when you are free to do this (again, this looks super awesome)!

2 Likes

I would love to do more to support scouts! My kids will both be back in cub scouts as soon as the pandemic numbers are better. :slight_smile:

My preference would be to use the North Lobby Classroom so they don’t have to go into the work shop. The parents need to sign waivers, we have paper waivers that they can sign for the children. We need at least one parent per child to attend. If you would like to PM me, I’m happy to help you schedule the event on the calendar to reserve the room and will try to coordinate having a director or officer there to assist.

2 Likes

Click the magic blue link in my earlier message to you to launch you on an adventure . . .

1 Like

This was magicked in yesterday, but as David notes, his post contains a link that will explain more if you like elucidation after-the-fact.

https://source.dallasmakerspace.org/display/Board

go to the “messages” menu under your avatar
select the welcome message from discobot

interact with the tutorial as it prompts
you will unlock (and try at least once) all features.
More info in the “Read First” sticky

While jast has given you the long way to do a DM/PM/WhateverM, the quick way is to click the member’s name/tag in their posted reply. That pops up some info about the person, and lets you click the envelope to send them a message. I’m betting that all your reading and posting in this thread has pulled you over that threshold to be able to send a PM.

2 Likes

but that doesn’t walk a person through all the FUN Discourse has to offer like DiscoBOT does…

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the offer. I will PM you privately to set up the logistics.

1 Like

Julie, the reason I like the idea of taking them into the woodshop is so that they can see what is going on. Otherwise, why doesn’t he just work on the cars himself and leave the scouts somewhere else.
It is the act of doing, or at least the act of observing that makes the visit memorable. Obviously, the use of power tools is out of the question, but just observing shouldn’t be an issue IMHO.

Otherwise, its just a kid sitting exercise and I’m not interested in just doing that.

My expectation is that he parents are going to want to see the place, too.

1 Like

I 100% agree with your sentiments.

May I suggest that you consider getting some kids’ safety glasses? They’re about $1.5 - $2 each on Amazon. Perhaps each scout could retain his own glasses. It’s never to early to start kids on the right path of being safe.

4 Likes

I love this idea. It promotes safety and gives the kids a take-away. How many kids are there Chuck?
We should give them a real life safety briefing, too.

2 Likes

I am expecting around 15 kids to show up.

I like the safety talk idea, and once things are more solid, I would appreciate any help offered.

3 Likes

Count me in to help “herd” the scouts. Be glad to help. On the subject, I have always wanted to have an ADULT pinewood derby - subject to the same rules the scouts have to follow in regards to the pinewood vehicle design rules. It would be pretty interesting to see what some of our members would come up with… would be happy to organize/coordinate something like this. Let me know if there is any interest in this?

We did this some years ago, although we also had unlimited Maker class.

It might be fun to co-sponsor this with Scouting - Have Makers compete against Scouts but Makers can only use the tools the Scouts are allowed to use, also have an “Unlimited Class” with fewer restrictions than scouting. Just define the envelop size, and weight and no powered motors except pneumatic or kinetic energy (thinking springs and rubber bands)

Regarding @miker , I am working out the final touches of how this will work with @Julie-Harris . So far we have 23 so I will definitely need help with herding once I have her blessing to ask for help. As for having pinewood derby just for the adults, I think it’s a great idea. In our pack, we allow siblings and parents join in as “outlaws” (where anything goes as long as you don’t hurt the track or other cars), and you can tell some of them have fun building their cars.

For example:

Regarding @Photomancer , having a scout vs maker sounds like a cool idea, but not for this year I think.

That picture looks familiar to me…I think I ran that race for you. That’s my car stadium and I think I remember that outlaw car.

Hey, small world.

You did run that race, and specifically that outlaw car (aka mine).

The woodshop will be closed for normal use 12/18 from 2:00-3:00pm.

This time has be set aside to walk the scouts through the machines and shop safety per the discussion above.

If you’d like to help out with the scouts, contact @cwai2007 and @Julie-Harris.

During the time the kids are in the shop, do not run the lathes or multicam.

Thanks.

6 Likes

I started a new post to ask for volunteers: Call for volunteers - Cub Scout Pinewood Derby

I hope this doesn’t count as reposting and I can move/remove it if asked.

3 Likes