Is it feasible to make something like this on the Multicam?

I saw this table and loved it. The only problem is that it costs $17,000! Could the Multicam be used to make something like that?

1 Like

The table top can definitely be carved on the MutliCam. The design process in a 3D cad program and the tool paths would be the challenging part that takes experience.

It’s hard to tell, but there do appear to be some “undercut” geometry that might be tough to do (wheel wells for instance). It’s even worse on the F40 version of the table with its air intakes on the side of the car behind the doors.

1 Like

Get with Kee Fedak. He’s the 3d path guy.

The short answer is “most of it”. Like Kent pointed out what is going on under the wheels would require a 90 degree orientation change to do it well and the MC doesn’t have that kind of height. Still you could bring in what ever car model in, do most of it and then do a little hand carving for the details. Since this is 3D work it will take a long time to do.

3 Likes

To try to do the bulk of it on a CNC router you would probably have to cut it into slices carving the side pieces and then gluing it together and then carving the top sections. There will still be a lot of hand work as well. That’s probably why it’s $17,000.

2 Likes

I agree with what everyone is saying on here. Either you get close on the router table and then go to hand tools (my preference - 1 piece of wood) or layer it up in slices.

Kee is the pro considering he has made violins on it.

Was looking at this on my phone originally. Now that I can see larger images, it’s possible to detect that some of the pieces do not have continuous grain … so it has some pieces that are prepped and then glued in place.

3 Likes