Is it a bad time to start planning for next BIG Open House?

I really loved this big open house and want to be part of it next year. Having the potluck was an awesome idea. I was hoping to perhaps coordinate the potluck a little better. Maybe have folks sign up for dish ideas? Maybe have so many bring salads, main dishes, side dishes and desserts. Just a thought and would like to hear yours. :smiley:

1 Like

Not a bad time at all. I’ve been making mental notes of things I’d like to improve in my committee.

I personally rather liked the “potluck and a grill making burgers and hot dogs” that we did for Open Houses in the past. I’m not sure how well it would scale up to the size we are now, but we could try it at a DMS only event to see if it would work before we try it again a public event like the Open House. IMO it should work, just need (as suggested above) someone coordinating dishes instead of random “whatever shows up, shows up”. 300 members is much easier to deal with random than 1000…

Having had a full schedule, i was not able to be there, so forgive my ignorance of what actually happened. But on the hypothetical, this was, to some extent, discussed here

and the “grill” idea was banished to “after lunchtime” due to the agreements with the 'trucks…
I suspect that led to some of the discord in who’s bringing what.
How did the trucks work out?
Was the potluck before, after, or just separate?
Could adding the grill keep the old feel for members and still satisfy the trucks, assuming they’re desirable in the future?

Again, these are thoughts from the previous discussion and based on no real-world events, though some knowledge of what really went down would be helpful in answering…

I provided food in my room - simple stuff. A baked potato bar, salad, chips and hummus to help keep the people going in my room. We had cake midday along with Dms cast chocolates (delicious). The art opening was supposed to be around 8:00/8:30 was very low key mostly because most people were completely out of energy by the end of the day.
Karen made delicious pulled pork which was instantly sought out by the sensitive Makerspace nose. I just think we should do more pot lucks/hangout nights at Makerspace to start building relationships with new members and encouraging cross communication with concepts.
I fact let’s just go ahead and schedule one instead of just thinking about it. I’ll put one on the calendar ASAP and let you know of the date.

5 Likes

we do this after every event at school. We keep it in the Google file that we use for the event and take a look at it while planning for the next. It’s nit picky but it’s info we need to remember.

Things I believe we did well (specifically I’m speaking about only things I know about):

1. 10x10 show encouraged members to “have a voice” I would love to see it become an annual event
    CA COST- $114/Member participant donations -$62
    Gave out 106 got back 41 at last count
  2. Food/snacks/lunch available in CA room for anyone who was in need of snack
    Need more snacks rather a meal.
    Total cost of food $53/Donations for food $20
  3. CA committee member full day demos/take always
    Cookie tin jewelry, sketches, paper craft, paper folding, printer demo, 1" buttons, paper marbeling, night lights, leather demo, cast chocolates
    Total cost - not entirely sure/Donations - $approx 30
  4. @macapaka designed the crap out of things and made us look wonderful
  5. Community building and allowing members to feel apart of the party
  6. People stayed and were positive

Things to improve:

1. Print out schedule for the room and post it.
  2. Have business cards to give away with fb page, qr code for donations and email
  3. Print up calendar to give away
  4. Take some time to walk around and enjoy the day and see what everyone is up to
  5. Figure out Ways to encourage Makerspace members family members to be involved.
4 Likes

Makerspace pot luck October 22nd. Just submitted it. Let’s not talk about it - let’s just do it.

5 Likes

Step #1: Make absolutely sure Darryl is there with the cool demos…

1 Like

I would suggest that different committees handle different types of food. Like CA does salads, wood shop does meat, ie—I would suggest that some snacks for the afternoon would be helpful. Cheese, crackers, sliced meat, maybe rolls and a spread (or salad dressings) for min sandwiches. Those need to be available in multiple areas. Make the after open house more organized, see if we get some more cross fertilization going also

One idea, make that a time for the members families to come and be introduced.

1 Like

I was kind of hoping for an Orphan’s Thanksgiving. My family has done this a few times over the years. Generally it is a few families get together and pull resources for an awesome Thanksgiving meal. The host has Turkey and Stuffing while everyone else brings their favorite dishes to the table. No one is left out and no one goes home hungry. Often there is more than enough for left-overs to share. Perhaps this might be a plan for November for those of us without family or funds for the holiday. What do ya’ll think?

2 Likes

I think the idea is excellent, especially for those that don’t have “any place to go”. DMS would truly be MAKING and tradition. Turkey roasting over LiPo fires, pie fresh from the kiln, foil wrapped sweet taters lifted deftly with tongs from the forge, left-overs on the donation shelf, different football games on the big screens in different rooms …

Seriously, I think it is a great idea.

1 Like

Love it. Let’s do it! I will do whatever I can. This is for November pot luck correct?

1 Like

I think the Orphan T-D idea was for T-D proper … I could be wrong. @Karen_Kitchen is that correct or are you thinking of the Pot Luck. I’m up for both. (My family usually has T-D on Friday anyway due to work and travel schedules)

1 Like

I’d be interested in a Thanksgiving(ish) potluck. Personally I’d prefer it be on Friday or Saturday, but would work with any date set over the weekend. I’ll call dibs on bringing lasagna…

2 Likes

I would love it on a Fri or Sat. I really doubt if a lot of us are into ‘Black Friday’ shopping. I would LOVE to have something to do.

My best friend does a ‘orphan’s Thanksgiving’ with board games to follow.

1 Like

I think I might be working T-D but would be much later in the evening. Moving the day to the weekend is also up for serious consideration. I’m not into the Black Friday special unless I hear about an unusually good deal. We would need to set up a who is bringing what list so we don’t have four casseroles and no pies. Who would I talk with to ensure this is a go? Let’s make it happen!!