Is Ceramics 100 a prerequisite?

I forgot to mark my last Ceramics 100 class as a prerequisite. When I went to put another class up today, I didn’t see Ceramics 100, or Ceramics Basic as a prerequisite that could be fulfilled. There was a “Ceramics - Pottery Wheel” prerequisite, but that didn’t seem like the right thing.

I can see that that might be what we wanted, as the other making things don’t need so much clean-up as the wheels do. Still, there’s a lot more basics being covered.

@Team_Ceramics

Weird…I thought there was one :eyes:

I’m guessing that we originally only meant it to cover stuff about cleaning the wheels, and it’s expanded to cover more simple basic things about pottery. I may need to change the name a bit, so that throwing instructors realize that they should be using that as a prerequisite, or else they should be covering clean-up thoroughly.

I really think it needs the process of how the area works and the cleaning :relaxed:

1 Like

We have not listed 100 as a prerequisite in any of the 101 series classes. We request folks to go through 100 but it is not required or listed as a prerequisite.

There was talk about beginning classes and how much of 100 they should cover of 100 but that was based on 100 being offered at least twice a month. However, since we do not have 100 classes on the calendar it’s important that beginning teachers go over the space guidelines for shelving, 04 and 6 firings and cleaning

1 Like

Why did we all have to go through 100 then? When Brenda was chair…remember there was a vote? All the ceramic members at that time went through

2 Likes

I thought 100 used to be a requirement because it did go to vote and then I think I had a class or an event with Chris Cooper that essentially fulfilled that requirement.

What I remember about when that went into effect, I think it covered shelves, clean up and of course the dreaded low fire clay and not to use if you question it. With all this in mind, would there be benefit to perhaps a video? I recall the HAAS or something having more like a video sign off?

Same :relaxed: I know there was a prerequisite because teachers were using it at one point then somehow was abandoned and now it is not there :eyes: Some members were denied a class or two because some instructors did mark it when they put their class up :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes we did make 100 a requirement for all folks wanting to use the ceramics area by a committee vote. However, we never required that teachers list it at a prerequisite.

Also because there are/were not enough 100 classes up for people to get signed off we talked about the guidelines in ceramics being discussed in the 101 series of classes.

4 Likes

So I’d like to bring up then my earlier question: what if a video was filmed and made available?

2 Likes

Ummmm…okay

Can we take these off the wiki page then?

Appreciate :+1:

1 Like

Just so new members can jump right in :relaxed:

Taking a class is under the supervision of a teacher who is responsible for student work to make sure rules are followed. Taking a class is not the same as unsupervised use of the ceramics area…

1 Like

So then we do need ceramics 100 for all new members we do not take a class…correct? I am just trying to understand :relaxed:

I would love to see a video of our 100 class along with the guidelines and/or some sort of test or sign off when complete.

We are not getting 100 classes up on the calendar but I have met folks and walked them throughout individually several times recently.

I wouldn’t change our wiki just yet. I refer new people to it all the time and tell them to reach out on talk to see if someone can assist with 100 information for them.

We also need the tour folks to refer people to the wiki. I’ve had two new folks in the last month or so question our guidelines because a tour guide told them different. Just FYI

1 Like

Yep. All we need is a tech-savvy person to make that happen. We’re potters…

I have a personal camera. I will gladly figure out the video settings and film and just have to probably seek someone’s help on editing and voice over.

1 Like

Okay. I think I’ve got it. I’ll be putting up a 100 class, and I’ll make it fulfill the wheel prerequisite.

We can probably do work-arounds for the people in the last class I taught, where I forgot to put in “fulfills pre-req”. If the throwing instructors don’t use it, then it won’t be an issue.

I will be happy to help out get the class online - our online platform can easily quiz students to make sure they absorbed the material as well. We have some nice cameras around, and we can probably even farm out the editing to some volunteers. Please reach out to me when you’d like to schedule some time :slight_smile:

5 Likes