Is anyone else tracking the price of iPads?

I’m sorry if this isn’t strictly maker related, but I’m posting this here because we have some very tech-savvy members and I enjoy the feedback.

Brass tacks: I’m having trouble understanding the current pricing on iPads. On the Apple web site, an iPad is now selling for less than an iPad Mini. Now that Amazon is also an Apple seller, the price gets even lower and you can pick up an iPad for as low as $249. Yes, the mini has a newer processor and more storage. But $249 just seems amazingly cheap to me for such a nice device. What am I missing or not understanding?

Afaik, the 9.7" ipad is a good deal. Costco had the 128gb units some time ago for ~$350. 64gb isn’t what it used to be. 32gb shouldn’t even be considered unless you’re not saving much on it.
Mini has been priced accordingly due to its portability, and have people willing to pay for it. You can stick in a cargo pant pocket easily.

1 Like

Keep track of hardware revisions they may have the same name but not the same generation.

3 Likes

Agreed. I was referring to the 32gb model and that’s not a lot of memory. But to me it opens up the possibilities on what you can do with the device in auxillary roles. For example, I’ve been thinking of making a pedestal and creating the wiring needed to add an iPad to my car (imagine having Waze any time you wanted, on a big screen). This price-point seems like the right time to do that.

1 Like

Help me understand what you mean by this. Amazon is now an official Apple seller and they mark the option as the “Latest Model”. Is that that not what I think it means?

You want to go the the Apple website, and take note of the model number of the latest one you want to buy and check if they are the same as the seller.

1 Like

Either you live in a WAY nicer area than me or it’s worth considering an iPad is a big screen, but also a good way to get robbed

Do you mean while it’s in a car or just while walking around town with one???