Is a class needed?

I have been trying to find which activities areas (like the wood shop), have classes that have to be completed before being able to be used. Same for the tool/machine.

Since classes are fairly scarce (not criticizing), sometimes I feel like signup for a class just in case I won’t see another one for weeks but it is not clear to me if a class is actually required towards something vs just taking it as a personal interest.

For example, there is a press right next to the auto lift, is that a machine that I can use right away, is there a class needed? or does anyone care? :slight_smile:

Is there a webpage or a table with a list of machine/areas and required classes that covers that whole DMS?

Thank you!
David

There is currently an ongoing process identifying all major pieces of equipment (major meaning something more than a screw driver or cordless drill). The below is hoped to speed up the number of courses taught and frequency.

For example: I teach Bridgeport, about two hours classroom and 2 hours at machine, with a 15 minute break in the center. About 4.5 hours. If the classroom portion is online, you do that at your leisure. I’ll give one class or so a month. I’m much more likely to two classes, maybe three, at the machine so I get 18 -24 students done verses 6 or in 1 class but the student has about the same amount in time.

But what requires training? @AlexRhodes & @John_Marlow sent out a risk matrix to all the Chairs with most of our equipment and asked a series of questions It comes

In general terms the goal is to have each piece equipment identified with a colored “dot” RED, ORANGE/YELLOW*, or GREEN

GREEN means: feel free to use it, not training required.
ORANGE/ YELLOW: familiarization training required, available online. Take course and pass quiz
RED: Training required. May be a combination of Online as a prerequisite to the Hands-on portion.

*Not sure if YELLOW or ORANGE

Thank you for your response. I wonder if that matrix can be made avail to the public? Otherwise, the only other way I see is to pester people with questions about every single major tool or shop.

Thanks again,
David