Introduction to MIG welding class

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/17359

1 Like

Does that mean there is a consumables/usage charge for the Dynatorch for people who do not supply their own consumables?

There is not.

2 Likes

Thanks Beth for the heads up but I had a meeting this morning and missed it. (I was up late, too but just didn’t check it before bed)

I had setup a reminder to register for the MIG training 4-days after Jim’s original post, but it appears the class is now full. Is it possible to get on a wait list or is it possible to have a larger class (or additional class option)?

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. It is unfortunate that we have such a limited number of classes. I’m sure Jim is doing all that is possible though. There is just a high demand for the class.

I’m planning on starting back up teaching again, hopefully that will help the backlog.

2 Likes

We can schedule another mig class, its hard to keep up with who wants a class since we usually figure that out after a class is full. And then picking weekends (better for me) or weekdays for the class. A wait list that automatically removed people who took a class or after 30 days would be nice to have. I was going to teach a tig class next but can do mig. I’ll coordinate with @MTLmanglr
-Randy

2 Likes

I just sent a copy of the MIG class notes to the four students who have signed up for the class.
Also, Ed at Metroplex Welding supply on 1970 W Northwest Hwy, Dallas, TX 75220 told me in August that he would give a 10% discount to students/members from DMS.
I bought a full kit of replacement parts for the DynaTorch and got the discount.
Best,
Jim

2 Likes

I vote for a MIG/TIG wait list also. It would be a LOT better to serve the needs of the members. Scheduling a class and having only 1 attendee is great for the student, not so great for serving the DMS members.
Best,
Jim

1 Like

I would take both the MIG and TIG classes. Actually, many moons ago I took the MIG class, but I definitely wanted a refresher. I’ve never taken the TIG class, but I have a friend who does a lot of it. He works for General Dynamics as a welder. I’ve seen him do it and it looks so much cleaner than the MIG or stick welding.

When I was a teen my father owned a stick welder and I did a lot of it, but MIG and TIG are light years ahead in technology.

I would sign up to be on a waiting list for both classes.

In any case, thanks to all who teach. You are the reason DMS is such a special place. I applaud you for your committment to helping others.

Malcolmputer, dryad2b, jast, and skyspook, THANK YOU for the information. It is gratefully appreciated.
Best regards,
Jim

1 Like

@bradblanch @coloneldan

I just had to cancel my registration for tomorrow’s MIG welding class (did not realize I was lacking the right prereqs). If either of you would like my seat, it is open!

-Tex

Thank you. I’ve just registered.

Dan

It is not a rumor. We had a fire in the metalshop while welding instruction was taking place. The fire was extinguised by the students and instructor with the dry powder metal shop extinguishers. The fire department needed a “ladder” to inspect the ventilation unit that had caught fire. No one knows why it caught fire as it wasn’t even in use during the instruction. It started as a little smoke and then quickly turned into a blaze. We called the CFD to ensure that it was not smoldering. It created an enormous amount of smoke and it began to bleed over into the woodshop. The FD instructed us to keep the door closed and run the other ventiator with a fan in the room to evacuate all of the smoke. I left before the room was cleared.

We didn’t get to complete the class but @MTLmanglr agreed to teach us a wrap up class sometime soon to complete our metal Texas star project.

The class was excellent and Jim brought his personal MIG welder so more students could have wire time as he called it. Furthermore, there was a lot of 1-1 time with the instructors. Thanks to you both.

I suspect it was completely covered in extinguisher powder, too.

Thanks for the detailed report.
I was over in 102 doing more LED change overs on the lights.
Heard bits and pieces about the fire, but not to many details. Guessing there’s a dusty mess in the shop. Fortunately there were people around to get it quickly under control.

Likely was sitting there smoldering for some time before hand.

We had a house fire in the 90’s that caught fire due to a smoldering ember several hours in the making.

Is there any update on when we anticipate the metal shop reopening and the welders being usable?

The metal shop is open and the welders are usable.

1 Like

Thank you Charles and all who helped clean up.
Best,
Jim

1 Like