Introduction to Metal Shop & Welding

Happy Thursday Y’all,

I wanted to reach out to see if there will be another introduction to welding or metal shop sometime soon? I wasn’t able to make the Welding Weekend course put on last weekend, so I wanted to see if there is another intro course happening sometime soon?

Thank you!

Let me know a few times you’re available, and I can run you through how to set up your choice of welder, or other stuff in metal shop.

1 Like

@FriendlyTitan is the guy who usually teaches the 3 day course. @rlisbona is the Metal Shop chair, and he’s been having some metal tutoring days, although nothing is currently on the Calendar. John’s offer should be good, too.

Next metalshop tutoring is wed feb 1, it should show up on the calendar in a few days. You get more hands on welding time in a dedicated class or one on one welding but it should be enough to get you started. I stay long enough to check people out on whatever they need, sometimes there are more than one teacher so we run parallel classes vs serial.

1 Like

The next weekend welding class is going to be an intro to stick welding. I haven’t had time to figure out exactly when but it’ll be within the next several weeks

Thank you @FriendlyTitan for the heads up on the upcoming class! I don’t have any experience with welding - would a beginner be able to complete the stick course?

I would recommend Mig unless you need to weld outside in windy conditions. Its also easier than stick or Tig.

1 Like

I just noticed that I picked wed March 1st for metal shop tutoring
Meant to schedule it wednesday Feb 1st.

I will be there this wednesday from 6-9 or later if anyone needs help or curious about welding or plasma

Please take the hot process safety class on learn.dallasmakerspace.org

1 Like

Yes of course! The intro course is designed forr people with little to no welding experience. Stick is one of the easier methods to learn as well. Mig is more maker friendly on thinner metal but stick is just as versatile and much more mobile if you plan on doing things outside.

1 Like

Looking for this but I don’t see it ?

EDIT:
Sigh :man_facepalming: … scrolled down enough, found it

https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/enrol/index.php?id=30

1 Like

Hi @FriendlyTitan - has a weekend been decided for the next welding course?

Best regards,
Mariner522

Yes I am currently scheduling the next two weekend of welding. The first will be an intro to stick on the 24th-26th and the one after that will be intro to mig on the 31st-2nd.