Introduction to Control System Design - A First Look

Just curious as to what the Arduino/Teensy split will be for our DMS group. Here’s what I thus far:

@DanielHooper: Teensy 3.2
@urbite: Arduino (Mini Pro)
@rcktdr: Arduino
@kbraby: ???
@Dawsmart: ???

Looks like Daniel may be the only one wearing the big boy pants in this group and going for the heavy math state-space version of the course :muscle:

@kbraby, @Dawsmart - care to weigh in on this?

Um, I have an arduino on hand, but just unwrapped my first teensy, a 3.2.

I might run through the state space version after the basic one, if it stays up long enough.

I have ordered the motor, teensy, and propellers. They will be showing up over the weekend. Mouser order pending some details.

@urbite, you know, I always think that with my ‘just go for it’ attitude I’d fail more often, but I seem to manage to succeed* anyway, often to my own surprise…

*This does not extend to getting dates

Toyz have arrived!

The small blue board is an Arduino Pro mini clone (qty 5 for $16!), so I have extras if anyone needs one. It’s nice b/c the Pro mini plugs directly into the breadboard. Also good for making your project permanent without dedicating a full size Arduino board.

Chopsticks and propellers were supposed to be delivered today, but Amazon had a “We’re sorry your package is late” message. Tracking info shows that the package arrived at UPS Mesquite at 6:30 this morning, so I’ll have props and chops by Monday at the latest.

@DanielHooper - Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had also ordered propellers (they come in a 12-pack) which I’ll sharing with everyone. At least we have plenty of spares if our system has multiple instances of destructive instability.

1 Like

More toyz!:grinning:
There are plenty of extra pots, power transistors & 2n3904s, along with the 0.5 ohm, 2W resistor, if anyone in the group needs them.

I put my mouser order in. Got everything except the pot, pot mounting hardware, bumpons (which are weirdly expensive), 2W resistor, and the M-F jumpers that are backordered.

Why not use an optical encoder? Far more reliable.

Cost

Also simplicity. One ADC gives you an absolute position encoder, vs an incremental optical that you have to hook up to a semi-dedicated counter hardware, and initialize it every boot.

They’re also reliable enough (with some redundancy) to be the pedal position sensor in (most?) cars: http://www.tiepie-automotive.com/en/Measurement_examples/Sensors/Acceleration_Pedal_Sensor

Are we still on for Wednesday at 6:30? I can stick it on the calendar if so.

Yeah Wednesday is good for me.

This looks cool. I wanna check this out, but I have a question: Does the dress code for the event set a limitation on the amount of automotive grease covering a perspective attendee’s person?

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/431

No, as long as you squeegee yourself off first!

Due to my ‘get-paid’ work project and some other stuff, I won’t be able to make a Wednesday meet, greet, 'n build date :frowning:

I could attend a Friday night or weekend (other than Saturday morning) build time. If you stick with the Wednesday build, can someone (Daniel?) PM me we can can arrange to meet. I’ll hand off my spares (pots, motor) and shares (props, chops & bands) for the build. I’m doing contract work in Plano (Legacy & Ave. K) and live in Little Elm, if that helps with the handoff logistics.

NOTE: UPS screwed up and lost the package with props and chops. Amazon shipped me a new one today that should be delivered tomorrow. So everything should be in hand by COB tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that! I can come get stuff from you tomorrow or Wednesday if you want.

Side note: leave it to MIT to spec a 3/8-32 nut on a M9-0.75 shaft. Fits, but really loose, and occasionally pops loose.

1 Like

Guess I’ll find out this evening…

Got parts from @urbite to share. Expect to send a few bucks his way for what you take though!

If you plan on attending, go ahead and RSVP on the calendar… as much to figure out how the calendar works than anything, but it will be nice to have an idea if we have any extras showing up!

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/431

I went ahead and registered. I’ll probably be late unfortunately, and sort of in and out helping someone else in machine shop.

I registered for the build event and plan on stopping by for a short time.

1 Like

Hello urbite,
i am new here. i want to attend the edx MIT course " **Introduction to Control System Design - A First Look". Because of that i habe to buy the hardware kit. i found almost every thing but i could not find the part with the motor and the black plastic holder. In the course it is not mentioned where to buy it. I did a research in the internet but without any postive result. It is also not mentioned what kind of motor is that. If you could help me that would be realy great because i want realy to do that caurse. it sounds very very interessting and make fun. thanks in advance!

My recollection is it was something like this: