Introduce Makerspace to Apple Corps?

I would like to introduce the features of Makerspace to the Apple Corps of Dallas at 10 o’clock on Saturday, April 8. The Corps, the oldest continuously functioning computer group, has lost its presenter for that meeting and if someone could come or call me on an iPhone and use a FaceTime call to me which we would put up on a large screen via Apple TV mirroring, I think it could work well. Although I do not actively participate in Makerspace, I love the idea and would like to spread it around. I need to present this to the board this coming Saturday April 1. Reply here or call me.
Mike Firth 214-334-6645

1 Like

Hi Mike!

That sounds like a great idea! Actually every thread you have made in the past has been neat, too! But, back on topic… :wink:

I’m going to “mention” (tag) the Vintage Computer committee chairperson, Dwight (@denzuko), as well as the upcoming soon to be PR committee chair, Adam (@Adam_Oas) to see if either of them may have access to FaceTime (and/or know someone who does) to see if we can make this happen.

Thanks for keeping the 'Space in mind!
:smiley:

I am not sure this is the correct way to respond (not publicly), but thanks for the encouragement and enthusiasm. I am not sure how to respond with the two links (@denzuko @Adam_Oas ) which I take to be Twitter feeds which I am not on, but may be something going through Makerspace - educate me. Facetime is available on iPhones, iPads, and (my wife thinks) on Macs - iPhone probably being the most handy to move around Makerspace.
Awaiting any further response,Mike

1 Like

Adding @ in front of a username on this forum basically tags the member so they will receive a notification that someone mentioned them. It’s just a way to get their attention.

I “mentioned” (“tagged”) the two members that I thought would be best to get things started, based on their roles here at the Space. :slight_smile:

Thanks Lisa, if the Vintage macs taking over the museum more than once isn’t evidence enough I’d say this is well within the interest of @Team_VCC.

@Mike1942f I’ve read about you guys in my Usenet/BBS days. I’d love to meetup and honestly though I do not have FaceTime unless iMessage still works or there’s a version for the First Gen IPad. Usually its easier to reach me over google hangouts, dms talk, or sms. My number is 512-920-8169 and gmail/apple id/jabber id is [email protected].

1 Like

When I queried the guy at the center of our video displays at meetings after having some FaceTime/Apple TV display problems, he advised me that those remote displays were done via Skype to his Mac.Skype would expand the number of devices that might tour Makerspace and I have down loaded it to my iPhone and old Vista PC and will do some tests and continue talking to Chuck.
Mike Firth

1 Like

Proposed Plan for Apple Corps-MakerSpace talk

Plan A is to have someone who knows the MakerSpace setup well and is willing to be available Saturday morning April 8 about 9:30 to 11:00 do talk to the Apple Corps members via Skype on a portable video device - i.e. smart phone. I will be at the Apple Corps trying to coordinate and cover any problems and act as host/moderator. Skype will be received on a Mac connected to the projectors permanently part of the Richardson Civic Center where we meet each month. We have done this before (Skyped a presenter in.)

Plan B - bnckup. If no one can be found to be a host from MakerSpace, I propose that I will go to MakerSpace on Saturday morning and wander around with my iPhone using Skype to send what I am observing with Apple Corps officer moderating

To be better prepared for this, I will definately visit the MakerSpace during the week. I love the idea of Maker and am not active mostly because I do not now have projects I could do there.

My steps
Test iPhone Skype to Mac in my house to my wife’s Mac DONE
Test my iPhone Skype to Chuck Richardson Mac at distance to his house.
Travel to MakerSpace mid-week to see the current building (I was in the previous space down near ?Walnut Hill), and check out the route as to train and bus with my mobility scooter.

2 Likes

Hey,

It’s a week away and with enough time for notice so I’ll be glad to host for the Apple Corps.

Is there anything needed in preparation?

1 Like

I would love it if you could host. Please call or message me at 214-334-6645, about choices.
In the chaos of this week, I missed your message, and now it is 2 days rather than a week but …
My broken mobility scooter got fixed a day late and I will come up Friday to visit DMS so I know how to get there and see the place.
Let me know anyway to make connection with you and if you are available.
Mike Firth, [email protected] (on my cell phone) or 214-334-6645 cell.

Been trying to reach you. After 5pm is easier to reach me but I’m glad I was able to get you today. Looking forward to meeting up with you today at the Makerspace.