Interesting Wood

Thanks to Lloyd Plum (Plano Mill) for some interesting wood – I was looking for some pecan – he didn’t have exactly what I was looking for in stock – so he threw a pecan log on his mill and cut me two slices, took less than 10 minutes!

I also got some bradford pear and sweet gum.

He has an interesting sawmill with tons of wood from North Texas. Very reasonable with a “makerspace discount”

@Lloyd_Plum

8 Likes

@Lloyd_Plum gave DMS a demonstration of his sawmill and drying kiln a while back. He’s also given me some old sawblades. He’s a very generous guy.

2 Likes

Dan,

What do you do with old sawblades?

Tom, I cut them in to 1"-2" strips and then laminate them with bandsaw blades I’ve cut into 6" strips and make damascus steel and make knife blades, or I cut knife shapes from them and then heat treat, handle and then sharpen them into knives.

Most of the bandsaw blade material is either 15N20 or L6. (Mostly 15N20 since L6 is usually for the much larger bandsaw blades like those used in a sawmill) The circular saw blades are usually some vairant of high carbon steel like 1095, 1075 or 80CrV2.

In any case I’ve cut them on either the cut off saw in blacksmithing or the bandsaw in the machine shop. I’m going to cut them on the plasma cutter in the metal shop next.

I’ll keep you in mind for my non serviceable saw blades at my store if you want more. The are 12" dia. - but they are NOT thin kerf.

Those are actually the very best. 12" gives a lot of surface area and the not so thin kerp provides ample opportunity to put on a nice beveled edges like a hollow ground edge.

Thanks for thinking of me. I’ll take all that you want to give.

1 Like

I may hit you up in a few weeks for some actually, if that’s all right

I have mine resharpened. This also sounds like the beginning of a punny kind of joke - but I can’t come up with a good punch line.

My question was more inline with what does Dan do with blades that have been resharpened a few times but are now beyond use.