Interesting Raspberry Pi 2 bug: It's camera shy

I know there are a couple of people here at the space that are likely to take a picture with a Pi included. This post is just to let those know certain cameras might actually interrupt Pi operation, so if we decide to run printers off these it might be a (rare) problem.

Url: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/02/11/most-adorable-bug-raspberry-pi-2-crashes-when-you-take-a-photo-of-it/

Small quote:

The problem is found in a component known as the WL-CSP package: a bare silicon die with tiny blobs of solder attached.

Very high-intensity light bursts “confuse” that component and cause the core voltage to drop, making the Pi a terrible prospect for an Academy Award

Upton stressed that neither sunlight, indoor lighting, nor rampaging cyclists shining their bike lights at Pis will cause this to happen, so no worries in such situations.

There are two fixes for the situation: use a blob forming substance like Sugru to cover the part, or use a pellet of bread around the part. (Yes, that is an actual recommended fix.)

1 Like

I’d say Mr. Upton hasn’t seen my bikelight:

I built it from scrap parts we had lying around at college, along with a 40W LED (yes, a single LED) salvaged from a huge bay lamp. We called it “bricklight” partially because it’s brick shaped and partially because it’s about a subtle as a brick when it’s on.

You can also strap it to your palm and be Iron Man.

3 Likes