Interesting Question

Every Saturday I take an intermediate blacksmithing class at Brookhaven. Brookhaven College Blacksmiths | Facebook

My instructor, kelly Kring, has been blacksmithing for a very long time and blacksmith’s everyday for a living. I mentioned to him that I was going to purchase some sucker rod from a guy in Duncanville and he asked me if I had a GEIGER COUNTER? He said that sometimes, particularly in granite areas used sucker rod can become contaminated with radioactive materials.

I had never heard of such a thing but it makes sense since uranium is mined. My question is 1) had anyone in science heard of such a thing and 2) does DMS have a geiger counter I could borrow to test the sucker rod before purchasing it?

1 Like

So some of the oil/drill piping if left on the ground too long will soak up radiation from what I’ve been told. Additionally I have seen natural gas boilers soak enough radiation that they had to be cut up. When the boiler made it to the scrap yard, it set off their meter. It then had to be sent back to the site and cut up. Can’t really say why. Quick search says on the boiler, radiation picked up from the feed water mineral deposits.

It’s interesting that’s for sure. I’m curious more about it myself.

Science has a CDV-700, which is a low-range meter that might help but I’m not sure of its status. A lot of those meters are way out of calibration after sitting for 30-40 years.

I have a brand new digital meter but no offense, I’m not willing to loan it out - BUT I am willing to drive anywhere you want to meet you and this guy and test the stuff.

3 Likes

No offense taken. I certainly appreciate the concern. Frankly, I’m not comfortable even operating it.
When the weather cooperates I’d like to drive to Duncanville and check out the sucker rods. I plan on buying about 10 of them. The guy said he’s willing to cut them into 10ft lengths, too.

5504 Duncanville Rd Dallas, TX 75236

1 Like

Okay, just stay in touch and we can coordinate on a day/time.

Main reason for not loaning it is that it basically can’t be replaced at any cost right now.