Interesting Panavise Set Up

Anyone want to claim / explain this interesting creative use of a bench Panavise??

2 Likes

Maybe it stops the light from falling down?

Unlikely but maybe? Tywraps are an interesting touch - one has been cut.

That is …… odd

It’s like someone went into an AI image generator and typed in “panavise desk lamp magnifier”.

2 Likes

My firs guess would be a “use a handy thing as a counterbalance”.

1 Like

Yeah, I did this. The magnifying glass was falling downwards and I kept bumping my head on it. I couldn’t find any way to adjust the elbow, so I put the counterweight there. The cable tie is insurance to stop it from crashing down. I figured it would increase the wear on the rivet joint. The Panavise, on the other hand, works completely fine. Sorry if there are any other issues I hadn’t considered. Either the lamp or that vise is heavy enough to break toes.

2 Likes

Time for a new lamp perhaps @artg_dms ?

1 Like

I have the same problem with gooseneck mounts for smartphones. They never seem capable of staying in place at the angle and orientation I need them. The saving grace for the adjustable arm ones is their ability to lock an angle in place.

Maybe we need to 3D print up some brackets that can slide over the sides of the arms to lock the angle temporarily? Like a wide E shape where the voids are the arm beam width, the end protrusions keep the arms from spreading, and with multiple heights of the middle leg printed, can keep the beams from narrowing the gap.

Only problem I see is if someone forgets or doesn’t know they’re there, and attempt to adjust the position, could snap the locking bracket.

But just my 2 Kroner.
David.