INteresting lathe project

Sorry about that-went to post it from work, and got tied up.

the guy is on youtube - nz woodturning

1 Like

I think a link may be missing?

1 Like

He just said it was interesting, he didn’t say he’d tell us what it is.:wink:

2 Likes

Oh hell, the suspense is killing me!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m wondering if it’s close to this?

3 Likes

Or this? Saw it earlier on FB and thought it was a neat take of the one above.

2 Likes

It turns out that the video that @Dashlee shared is a longer version of the one @TLAR shared… (Tom’s post does have a link in it; but, the share code is broken…)

I asked Tom about it earlier… This was his response:

https://youtu.be/01GKPbizPhE

sorry i am at work and was interrupted before finding a good(er) link

At any rate, thanks Tom, @Owen_Soccer22 and Ashlee for sharing some kewl, very maker’y videos! :dms: :smiley:

1 Like

Aha! I knew there was a shorter version. Thanks Lisa! I totally agree about how neat it is. Does anyone know how to do this, are there tools available to do this at the space, and is anyone out there willing to teach me how to make one? :hugs::pray:

1 Like

Lots of instruction videos on the youtubez. Short version is lots of super gluing and time up front, then turn as normal. I think you need the hexagonal colored pencils not the round ones

The tools are in the woodshop. There are 4 or 5 guys there that can give advice, and frequenty do - Check with Matt, Jeff, or Jimmy - all first-rate turners. Chandra is often there too, and I’d be surprised if she didn’t get interested in this herself :slight_smile:

Actually, the more I look at this, the more interested I get. I wonder what kind of epoxy he filled the form with?

2 Likes

Acrylic I’d bet, same way you make the bottlecap bar tables.

1 Like

any type of clear epoxy or resin will work, Hobby Lobby has some that will work and I’m sure that it can be found else where cheaper

Take a fair amount of resin to do these, anyone know a cheap source of clear resin?

Not necessarily. You can use one 40% off coupon daily (available at their website or phone app). 40% off makes most of their stuff attractively-priced.

For something like this you can get fairly cheap resin at model/hobby shops. They use it to simulate clear stuff like water or seal stuff into weird shapes.

A trick to get the resin to go farther too is to use modeling clay (basically super playdough) and create little dams/molds.
A pencil case like that is a cool idea, I’d guesstimate how big you want it and make a negative of the inside with modeling clay. Then stick all your pencils at mixed directions into the clay, maybe some rubber bands to hold it all together.

Then use a cheap cardboard box and a plastic bag thats close in size as possible to use as little resin as you need. If you have more clay you can use it to fill the corners of the box.

Follow the directions on the resin to mix in the hardener, pour into the box.

The resin will fill all the gaps between the pencils and make the shape of the inside of the box. WIth the clay on the inside it’ll take WAY less than if you just made a wood cube shape or cup.

You can use anything really as filler but I like the clay as it has a super long open time, doesn’t react with the resin, and usually comes right off no problem. I used it to make odd bottle shapes where stuff looked like it was trapped in glass and once the resin cured it was just a matter of using tool through the small opening to scrape away the clay.

Epoxy would do this too but the stuff I have has a much shorter open time and is more expensive.

Then you just do the rest of the project like it was a solid block of wood…

This is a cool idea and I actually took the Lathe Basics class this weekend, might give this a shot!

I’m itching to do the Wood Lathe Basic class (and probably end up getting my own lathe at home). I ran across these tutorials recently (and I’m getting an odd sense of deja vu about having posted them on talk before). They both make bowels using wood scraps and resin although one uses considerably less resin by using a solid pine bowl blank at the center (which also has a mount point for the lathe as a bonus). The pine bowl blank is sandwiched at the center of mold, between the wood scraps and the outside of the mold (it’s difficult to explain but the video makes it pretty obvious). Also goes into cheap resins/larger quantities of resin and does specifically mention Castin’ Craft Clear Polyester Casting Resin.

Starting video (good overview of the process):

Better way to make the mold (less resin needed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-81Cwk9lPg

Oh, and here’s a third video that goes into more detail about how to pour the resin and what works best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PHwjtgyX3I&

-the purring dork

3 Likes

Use a plastic cup to fill the inside, or a piece of PVC pipe

We have tools at the space that could make this happen. I am often at DMS and would be among several who would be happy to help. May even try it myself for fun but with pine cones or something similar.

1 Like

This company is local and is a good bet to talk to someone about various resins:

2 Likes

That would be awesome! If you have time, I’d love to learn. I’m usually there in the evenings but can be kind of flexible. I haven’t taken Lathe Basics yet… I tried to sign up for the class on the 31st, but my son promptly hit the cancel button once I confirmed. :weary: So once I figure out how to get back into that class, I should be clear to use the lathes upon completing it. (Unlsss anyone can give me a lathes basics lesson on the side?) I bet pine cones would look so neat. Do you think book pages would work?