Interesting cars on CL was Feature packed hatchback

4.5k for that??! sorry If I’m wanting an 80’s euro well bmw’s are going for less than that even after the repair work

ebay has to be the most expensive place to car search lol

Most cars have a ceiling - the GTi owner seems to think his doesn’t…happens pretty often with everything on wheels.

1 Like

That’s the truth. When I was looking for a car, new to me, VW’s where more expensive the BMW’s for the same year.

1 Like

then there are the coveted half a million mile turbo diesel vw and mercedes models…people are crazy…

I’d add the infamous BMW 524 diesel but I won’t because it was somewhat of a turd on this side of the pond

idk… maybe he’s marking it down from the 15k on other sites:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2113400

1 Like

Well looks like there’s another one for less:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127463

1 Like

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/awesome-87-bmw-325-e30-for/6454937091.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/1984-vw-rabbit-gti-mk1/6437128754.html

Here are some local options

and if you’re into tinkering, the E30 will accept the S54 engine.

Reminded of the time I was helping a friend car shop and they came across a hilariously customized Civic.

Thanks to the eternity of facebook, I have photos. Behold the … whatever the owner called it since it surely had a proper name:

… and for some detail on the artwork …

Not evident in photos:

• The near total lack of interior
  • Dashboard absent beyond the part immediately below the windshield … and had ill-fitting aftermarket color-themed bits for what was present (color-themed ductwork for the air conditioning for chrissake)
  • Sketchy mods almost e’rywhere
  • ~95dB volume in the passenger compartment
  • EVERYTHING. RATTLED.
  • “No, it was never raced. Really.”
  • The vehicle was never going to pass inspection in present state

Dealer handling the deal was selling for “a daughter of a friend” who presumably had reached the point that the demands of college tuition were eating into the budget for her plaything. Wanted absolute top dollar for it despite the fact that whatever market value the customization added was overwhelmed by its many downsides. The fact that this was a dealer - who had clearly been sitting on this unwanted consignment item for some time - was embarrassing since they should know how reality meets expectations when it comes to used car pricing. I forget the precise over/under, but they wanted more than KBB on any variant of that year Civic was worth in any condition and wouldn’t budge on the price. What’s funny is that my friend was actually willing to drive it … at the right price.

5 Likes

[quote=“ESmith, post:30, topic:30989”]
customization added
[/quote

hmmmmmm “added” - never happens in the world of street driven cars and certainly not among anything Pink including you Jeep folks.

Oh there’s actual value-add when it comes to a subset of well-executed customizations on cars sold to a small subset of the market. The problems are that of yield - it’s always less than whatever said customization cost - and finding that right subset of the market - i.e. my friend was merely willing to accept a wacky Civic but not pay a premium for the original owner’s vision.

But the overwhelming majority of the time the stars do not align and your ‘investment’ nets you no increase in sale price … assuming it doesn’t detract from value for reasons of poor taste, bad judgement, or both.

It’s almost certainly named the PIMPSLAP.

Almost certainly true. Racing is not big in these circles. It eats into the glide time.

Hmm. I differ here. Some of my favorites have been pink, including the customized 1956 F100 that trawled my high school in two tone pearl pink and white (among other schemes). That thing was BEAUTIFUL. And the pink two-tone was the best iteration of the 5 or so I saw in those 2 years. The average value for that truck in that environment but stock was about $2500. He turned down $8k flat, cash flapping in the guy’s hand who was offering it (well, so I heard; I couldn’t ID that much cash by sight, but it was more cash than I’ve ever seen in “wadroll” format before or since).

Very, very true.

Sometimes their stars align. The MK1 Rabbit GTI might be coming into its own…

1 Like

hmm… I think I know the perfect car to get @axeonos for a gift.

Andrew,
Tasteful pink yes!
(Note it does not say tasty), but that Civic with the “features” and hideous paint is what I was referring to…

1 Like

It is. I recommend SearchTempest. (Don’t use AutoTempest, it sucks)

1 Like

Alas the only thing I want to buy, not available anywhere

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=Mazda+REPU&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=75235&maxDist=500&region_us=1&srchType=T&hasPic=&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=cto&q=intitle%3AMazda+intitle%3AREPU++inurl%3A(cto)

1 Like

Did you check Puerto Rico?

I used SearchTempest to find my RX7 and my WJ. It’s the best way to find cars that are too worthless for an autotrader listing.

2 Likes

Showing my age, had to look up. Drat you Red Baron!

1 Like

Despite protestations to the contrary, the salesman previously let slip a number of implications that the seller participated in autocross and/or track days. Not racing per se, but that distinction might be lost on the power train and chassis… There were a number of anodized and fancy performance-esque bits on it other than the conspicuous K&N air filter.

Doesn’t mean they didn’t also do Cars & Coffee.

1 Like