Interested in starting a SIG - Electric Vehicles

I’m trying to gauge interest in starting a SIG for Electric Vehicles, and whether it makes sense to request it exist under Automotive or elsewhere. I know there are at least a dozen or so EV drivers at the space on a regular basis.

I’d love to see things like occasional EV meetups where we can help educate people how they work and understand if it would fit into their lifestyle. We could also (potentially) look into care of the two chargers at the space, if that’s not being actively done. I know there’s at least some interest in a current meter on the J1772 charger, per some discussions.

Any thoughts and comments welcome.

2 Likes

The NTEAA.org group used to meet here, but now meet in Plano.

DMS has two electric car chargers, one 30A J1772 charger for most electric cars and a Tesla 80A destination charger. They are on either side of the dock door in back. I oversaw the donation and installation of the J1772, @william_petefish oversaw the donation and installation of the Tesla charger. They are used regularly and maintained as needed.

2 Likes

I figure they don’t require much maintenance, but seems like something the potential SIG could do for the space if needed. Just brainstorming.

I wonder if we could get Tesla to provide additional chargers for the new side of the building given the number of member Tesla’s and our expanding size. Either that or maybe the potential SIG could raise money for some bonafide ChargePoint stations on each side that would work with all cars. Not sure what that would cost.

I hear there’s a possible project vehicle lingering about the Space.

2 Likes

EVSE chargers have dropped in price in the last few years, even the Tesla wall charger is only $500 these days. I suspect that running the power to where we want an additional charger will cost more than the charger itself will. :open_mouth:

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-wall-connector.html

https://emotorwerks.com/products/charging-stations/juicebox

1 Like