Interested in lampwork

Hello! I recently discovered Lampworking and would love to give it a shot. Does the makerspace have a torch and other materials required to get moving? Are there any classes in the future?! Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

@meanbaby can speak for more of this than I can. We’ve got some stuff. We’ve got a couple of people who can do it. I think the person who was willing to teach got caught up in personal stuff over a year ago. I haven’t noticed a class in a long, long time.

@mrjimmy – you have any thoughts on the subject?

1 Like

Hello, a lot of but not all GlassWorks classes have been on hold due to teachers being C19 high risk.

At this time map gas lamping is what is permitted. We do have heads and tools members may use. DMS has some tools and equipment on loan from one of the teachers. The glass rods in the metal cabinet are for class use only. They belong to Becca to use on her future classes. The COE on them is also unknown until Becca come back to DMS.

You will need to bring your own glass rods and map gas. @mrjimmy has done some 1-1 classes. He is tagged to see if he is available to go over lamping with you and the tools available.

Thank you
Anita Willis

1 Like

Awesome! I assumed I would have to use my own glass and my own gas (unless it was pay by usage like the welding). Thank you so much! Super stoked!

1 Like

I’m available for a one on one class next week after work if you are interested.

2 Likes

I would be interested in a class or just watching. I’ve blown hot glass but its been many years ago. I’ve played with bending and small bubbles with pyrex tubing.
-Randy

I’d be curious in watching too. I would love to just learn what it is and get ideas of how I could use it. I don’t need to actually be taught yet.

I didn’t watch much of this. It’s a marble, rather than beads. With marbles, you don’t have to think about the hole.

Still, it should give you a bit of an idea. Also, he’s using a fancy torch. We’ve got map-gas torches.

I would be interested in a class as well or just peeking over shoulders to watch and learn.

1 Like

That would be amazing!! It seems like many people are interested as well! Thanks!

We aren’t set up for the lamp work glass blowing yet. We have a chili pepper for annealing the glass but we don’t have the right torch set up yet.

If you are interested in leading getting it set up, let’s talk.

1 Like

I am going to stick to 1 on 1 classes until I’m fully vaccinated. I get my first shot Friday, second three weeks after that.

Social distance isn’t the problem, it’s hearing the instructor with a mask on from the distance with a torch going.

Can’t really do it outdoors either because with the eye protection and the sun you can’t see the flame well enough to keep things in the right spot.

Anyone who’s interested send me a direct message and we can work out times next week. The class takes about 90 minutes

4 Likes