Interested in a Lathe Basics Class

Hello,

I would like to eventually learn how to knurl bar stock and tubing. Is there an upcoming lathe class, and what does Makerspace have in regards to knurling tooling?

Thanks,
Trent

We have a diamond knurl for the Colchester. It is approximately 18 TPI. This is not an exact specification - I took a pencil rubbing of something I knurled and counted the teeth.

I have knurled brass and Al 6061. It was an experiement in both cases. On brass the workpiece deflected and it was difficult to get a clean knurl. Dunno if you will be able to knurl tubing successfully …

In all fairness, it has been a couple years since I used it so I assume the knurl is still around somewhere.

Also:

1 Like

Last I saw both the sherline and colchester tooling was in good order for knurling, but if you have specific requirements for pitch or pattern you need to bring your own wheels for them.

I’ve done tubing on the colchester, but it does vibrate excessively so keep that in mind if you need a clean pattern (I only needed surface grip so I didn’t care).

As for a lathe class, have you done the self-study portion? If so I may be able to catch you for one after the metal shop meeting this coming saturday.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I will review the self study materials. Not able to come by this weekend, but hopefully we can meet up soon another time. Thanks,

Trent

What is the self study materials?

This link below is regarding the self study items.

The knurling also depends on if you are doing a straight knurling or diamond knurling. If you are doing straight knurling, you will need to do a formula in order to select the “Correct” TPI. Diamond knurling is a lot more forgiving.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’m knurling dumbbell handles, which would be diamond pattern. I will probably buy a set of wheels to have on hand. Do you know what wheel size I need for the Makerspace tooling?

3/4 by 3/8 .261 hole.

2 Likes