Interest in repairing gravitram for Sci-Tech Discovery Center?

Peter Claffey, executive director at Sci-Tech Discovery Center, has asked if anyone might be interested in partnering on a project to repair their gravitram. It would involve some welding work and installing a few electronic components.

What the heck is a gravitram… watch here to find out. This could be a great opportunity for some PR and also a great addition to anybody’s Maker Portfolio.

Contact [email protected] if you’re interested and see attached PDF for more details: Gravitram Project Outline.pdf (572.8 KB)

1 Like

FYI… The Sci-Tech Discovery Center is in Frisco.

Spoke with Peter today, going to attempt to go out today!

2 Likes

Can you let me know if that vending machine we built is still there

Sure, what does it look like? What did it vend?

It was a vending game that asked questions and if you got the question right moved to nicer and nicer stuff

I will check it out today and let you know!

I would be concerned about the liability of doing work without using certified welders.

Anyone who is a certified welder is free to weigh in on that.

Went and visited with him today! Robert, he had to run before i could ask about the vending machine.

To assuage any fears, my going out was not a representation of makerspace or business on its behalf.

As for certified welders, doubt it would be necessary. Item is not being serviced on site. This is a non profit, all of their items were built by makers.

The usual question is if a failure of a weld, or a material selection around the weld could be foreseen to be a risk to life or limb. If so, a certified welder is a strong defense to the risk of a future lawsuit. Certainly some experienced but not certified welders do take on repairs that meet those criteria, but ideally with the understanding that what they are doing is overbuilt, they are way beyond beginner welders, and they understand the risks they are incurring to themselves and the public around the work.

All that said, if this is all maker built, there are likely no drawings, no weld specs, no callouts for process, so there is a chance that even certified welders might turn it away if there is risk of injury to life or limb and they aren’t comfortable with the design.

Completely agree with your thoughts about why welders would be certified for a task.

Fyi

This machine is 30 years old. Its welding needs are not load bearing. Think fine tuning. There are no specs, drawings, etc. It was the first of its kind. The welds needing repair are not structural. The life and limb risk is mitigated by the acrylic case that surrounds it to prevent onlookers from touching.

1 Like

Here it is

3 Likes

I had a suspicion it was a total non issue, but getting it confirmed quiets things down considerably.