Interest in Liquid nitrogen maker, or using LN2?

That is sensational, you have a cryocooler. I would love to see it.
Would it be practical to keep the science group 30 liter dewar full every day, replacing evaporation periodically once filled either from a generator or from airgas purchases? Would someone need to top off every day, or could it go a few days without drying up? That would be for long term storage of live cells.

If the dewar was filled first, it probably can maintain the level from evaporation. Probably could not refill it from empty. Also since it is condensing the air you will get all the constituent parts of air: Nitrogen, Oxygen, CO2, etc.

I left it on for a couple weeks and it had a large portion of oxygen in it.

Not if you need to get the steaks on quickly.

Think that is not a problem if just need the coldness. (as opposed to using as N2 source). Oxygen will boil off first. I would like very much to meet you and talk about cooler. When are you at the space? I will be there this evening.

I’m only really at the space to do finances on Mondays at 5pm. Don’t have time to be makery anymore.

That is tragic, if you have given up making in favor of accounting, though of course we are all grateful for your service. Nevertheless I would like to meet you and talk about the cryocooler, and wonder if you would be so kind as to donate or lend it to the science committee. I myself have never seen one.

That made me laugh so hard. No finances/accounting is not a love of mine. The makerspace is, so it’s where we are at now. In the near future hopefully it will be taken over by someone else or our accounting firm.

The cryocooler is not something that a noob could operate. It has a specific cool down process that needs to be followed. The makerspace would destroy it by the second use. But I can come in and demo it. They popup on eBay occasionally but getting more expensive as they become more rare. I bought mine for $400 and now they are $1,700

So I am curious now, you must have bought this for some project of yours, and you did not need a -300 degree cooler to chill beer. So ??? I am interested in any application that helps justify capability for extreme temperatures. Sorry to hear cryocoolers are too fragile and fussy for the makerspace, I still would love to see a demo, I have no experience of them. Could we make this an event? Sure others would also be interested.

There is a scene from 2001 A Space Odyssey that captures the essence of what the first Maker was probably like … and that we may not have evolved that much further.

1 Like

@Photomancer

That deserves printing and hanging in the lobby. Both the picture and the text post!

True, and doesn’t read either.

1 Like