Interest in class on Vermicomposting (composting with redworms)?

I’m posting on behalf of my son, who’s working on an eagle scout project to encourage and enable composting.

Would you be interested in a class taught at DMS on getting started with vermicomposting?

Vermicomposting is an ideal method of composting at small scale. It doesn’t require accumulating large quantities of material, turning piles, nasty smells, or hiding things from neighbors. It does transform food waste into soil fertility, benefiting lawns, gardens, shrubs, and trees.

Likely course coverage would include:

• Making vermicomposting bins, with each participant leaving with an operational bin.
  • Hands-on feeding them, as well as guidance on what you can and can’t feed them.
  • Hands-on harvesting finished vermicompost.
  • How to use vermicompost.
  • Possibly a demo of how to brew actively aerated compost tea.
  • Reference materials sources for further learning on soil microbiology and the benefits available only through composting.

(End of my son’s query… start of my additions…)

The course would likely be taught in early to mid July.
I suspect this might fit under the auspices of the science committee, especially if they want to feed a few red wrigglers to their aquaponic fish.

1 Like

I think classes used to be offered by the science committe, back when it was the bio committee. The member who did this no longer has much time for the space.

I would be interested.

1 Like

I vermicomposted for years. It is a beautiful thing to turn organic garbage into the most wonderful compost in the world. Redworms do an amazing job and the plant benefits are awesome. I’ve been to gardening swap meets and sold my compost for more than $10 a pound and I produced more than 100 lbs of it every month. Redworms double in number every MONTH. The hardest part became finding organic waste to feed them with. I used garden waste, table scrap, newspapers and other shredded mulch, coffee grounds, pretty much anything organic that wasn’t poisonous to the worms.

My problem, and the reason I don’t do it anymore, are the critters that like to invade the compost bin. I’ve tried everything and I can assure you that if you keep it outside critters will find it. They can chew through almost any bin material including wire mesh , they can open almost any enclosure, they can dig under any bin and they will make an incredible mess in the process. The food stuffs are simply too tempting to them. Yes, I buried it, yes I turned it, yes I covered it with burlap, yes I bought commercial plastic bins, but varmits are incredibly ingenious when it comes to finding something to eat.

Keeping the bin in a temperate environment inaccessible to varmits, particularly rodents, skunks, opossums, and cats is essential. Bugs are a necessary part of the composting process usually, but varmits I can do without.

In any case, I believe very strongly in composting and the many benefits of it. I’d be willing to help with the class. I have a number of books on the subject, too.

As a side note, you can definitely make a business of vermicomposting. You can also purchase food stuffs that make a finer product like cattle feeds, but the real benefit is turning garbage into very useful compost.

I highly support your Eagle pursing this project.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and support from both of you. My son will be glad to hear. He’s anxiously anticipating, hoping to see significant DMS interest. He’ll be promoting outside too, but interest here is an indicator to him… and he considers the highest risk part of his project to be generating enough interest and attendance in a course.

@coloneldan, did you ever try keeping your bins inside? We’ve had three in our kitchen for over a year. I wouldn’t do it any other way now. Having them right by the trash makes good decisions easy.

1 Like

No I didn’t keep them inside. I would have had to have an entire room dedicated to vermicomposting.

I believe a small set of bins inside is ideal. You can compost a single households organic waste this way.

Ahhh, you were keeping a vermicomposting army!

I"d be interested in the class … Especially if it will help a Scout get his “wings”

1 Like

It looks like this class is going to happen. Nathan, the scout working on it, needs one more approval from the scouting organization. When that happens, he’ll schedule the class and use normal eventbrite/meetup signup mechanisms. Once the class hits the calendar, I’ll be sure to post here and tag those who expressed interest in this thread.

3 Likes

Ashley, It would be very cool as part of the class if Nathan were to provide a cup of worms for anyone who wanted to start their own bin. The little rascals multiply so fast, as long as they have food and room, that a cup would be plenty to start the process.

1 Like

Absolutely! I won’t commit him to anything, but I know his intent is for people to leave with a functional worm bin, including worms, so they can begin immediately.

@wandrson, @coloneldan, @Photomancer, @Ebony_Jackson, and anyone else interested in this class…

Nathan received the approvals he needed for his project. He’s preparing everything and getting ready to schedule the class.

Any input on dates from those interested in attending would be welcome.

His first choice would be to schedule for next Saturday, getting it into the calendar as quickly as possible. The concern is - will anyone be around next Saturday (2 July) or will everyone be pre-celebrating the 4th?

Need at least 12 days advance submission so instructure and committee can get honorarium

The only date I definitely can’t attend is Saturday July 16th.

@Photomancer, he’s probably going to not pursue the honorarium because of tight schedule constraints.

I’m interested but I will be gone for a large part of July.

1 Like

@uglyknees, you’re in luck. Nathan submitted the class for Thursday 30 June, so perhaps you’ll make it.

Once the class hits the calendar, I’ll post the URL here, and Nathan will also promote the class to the public.

2 Likes

Ashley, my wedding anniversary is June 30th and I will therefore be otherwise preoccupied and unable to attend your class. Best wishes for a great class.

Class is now posted on the calendar and put up on eventbrite.

1 Like

I have signed up; however, if the class fills up and someone really wants to attend, let me know and I will give them my spot. If not, I am looking forward to this.