Interest in Blender/3D modeling & Printing for Ceramics Tools 2023/04

Hey everyone!!

I’m still newer to the space but I attended one of Liam’s classes recently and some people expressed interest in learning how to use Blender and 3D printing to make a variety of ceramics supplies! I run my own business at home for 3D modeling and printing and have a decent amount of knowledge on the subject.

People asked if I’d teach a class; but I wanted to gauge the interest in it first :slight_smile: Would you be interested in taking some courses on learning how to use Blender along with using a 3D printer/slicer program?

Also, what are some things you could design/print with a 3D printer that could be used in ceramics? I have a couple ideas but I’m sure there are many more things I don’t know about that I could use to tailor to a class!

-Catie C.

2 Likes

Yes! I would be interested in learning more about the 3d printers… I spend way too much money on 3d printed items that I should be making myself for pottery. I have been cleared on the printers and have taken a class from @mreynolds which was informative, but I still don’t feel confident. I would like to make stamps, texture rollers, cookie cutters…. Plus other tools that would be useful. Thank you for considering this!

2 Likes

Oh awesome those are a bunch of things you can make on the 3D printer! It takes quite a bit to become comfortable on 3D printers :slight_smile: I mostly work with resin printers as their detail is so much better than the filament printers. But learning 3D modeling is a class I heard isn’t offered and that would allow you to make any design you could ever want! Along with molds I believe.

1 Like

I would also be super interested! Ribs would also come in handy to make as you can create so many unique designs too!

2 Likes

I don’t have much to contribute from the Ceramics side, but I’m definitely a 3D Printing Hobbyist who uses Blender to edit STL files, and even make my own. I mostly make ugly, functional designs (Programmer Art, if you will). In short, I’m not exactly the best fit for the class itself, but I’d be more than happy to bounce ideas around from the technical side (i.e. slicing/cutting models, Booleans, adding screw holes, etc.).

2 Likes

Oh awesome!!! Glad to meet another 3D hobbiest :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a Prusa i3 MK2S at home. It’s pretty outdated by this point, but it still runs fine so I see little need to replace it yet (The new MK4 sure is tempting, though).

I haven’t used a resin printer before, so I’m sure I’ll get acquainted with the ones at DMS at some point. Right now I’m in the middle of an electronics project that will only require FDM Printed components, but I am designing all of them myself… right now the snag is I still need to design the circuit boards (and then re-design the case to fit them all in).

My suggestion for your class would be to give a brief overview of the differences between Resin and Filament printers, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. For large, functional prints, FDM is better and cheaper (and potentially faster), while Resin printers obviously dominate FDM in terms of fine details. My advice would be to not underestimate the capabilities of FDM printers. They’re not known for reproducing detail, but you might be surprised at how well they can print most things, at least until you get down to tiny Jewelry sized objects.

2 Likes

I’d be very interested. I have some experience with maya and 3D printing, but I was several years ago and I’ve been too afraid to touch the ones in the space since they’re different programs and printers than what I used.

3 Likes

Hi! I was introduced to the DMS a few years ago and believe that I’m now at a point in my life I’m ready to join. And this kind of class is exactly why! I’m excited to learn Blender to work on 3D models, and then to take those models to the 3D printer. It would be fantastic to learn how to make texture rollers specifically. And I agree that understanding the difference between the filament and resin printers would be a great topic. And learning how to use slicing software sounds like a must for success in the 3D print space, so it sounds like you have it all covered. I hope that you see enough interest to hold a class - I’ll sign up for sure! Thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome, yeah my class mostly covered ‘how to use tinkercad’ and how to get that file sliced and printed. It was pretty basic.

I’d love to run a class that taught rollers, dice and complex patterns and objects, but it would probably be a long/multi part class :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s great advice! Thank you!

1 Like

Oh nice! Yes that’s pretty much what I’m thinking of doing is introducing a multi-class thing from a start to finish on a basic project. I could teach the basics of Blender and how to use it in a variety of ways, then a handful of projects that could be created, following a class on the slicer programs/properly supporting and or hollowing your pieces, then the actual printers.

4 Likes

This sounds awesome!!!

1 Like

I intend to go back to school starting this fall at Brookhaven to learn 3D modeling and animation, so absolutely this would be right up my alley. Especially as I don’t think Blender would be the software my other classes would focus on…

1 Like

I’d take this class! Looks like you’ve got a lot of interest :slight_smile:

1 Like