Interest in a Ukulele Class?

Would anyone be interested in a possible ukulele class? This would be geared toward beginners and people that do not come from a musical background. We would cover how to hold the instrument, tuning, and beginner chords (C, F, G7). Folks would be welcome to BYOU or use a loaner instrument that I can provide. It would be an opportunity for people to decide if they enjoy it and want to purchase/make an instrument. We can also cover reputable brands, build-your-own kits, and good plans available for 3D printing.

I am also open to developing this into a class series for folks who want to continue building their skills & confidence but would like some help along the way.

8 Likes

I’m a middling guitar (6 string) & mandolin player, but have never actually picked up a uke. Would be fun to try (plus they’re really pretty cheap, so why not!).

1 Like

I’d be in for it. Crappy guitar player too. I’ve built a couple of cigar box ukes and have been wanting to learn to play them better.

I am definitely interested, and I definitely do not come from a musical background.

I’m a graphic designer and illustrator. I have no real musical background.

Yay! Looks like we have some interest! And if you are not a music reader then you will be right at home because we will not be looking at notation at all! Even though I am an elementary music teacher, when it comes to playing uke and being an adult learner, it’s much more meaningful to get right to the playing. Then you can get music-making right away and feel much more successful. (Don’t get me wrong, learning how to read music is important. But you aren’t going to love playing an instrument and having an aesthetic outlet just from reading little back notes.)

3 Likes

I’d be there :slight_smile: I think we should have a DMS ukulele band.

I would be interested! I would need a loaner though.

Perk of my job: I have access to my campus ukulele set, so I can help out a full class with loaners! I have you covered. It’s nice to be able to spend some time with an instrument and see if you enjoy it before shopping to find one of your own.

2 Likes

I forgot to ask: for y’all that have expressed interest, are there particular times or days that work better? Since I am a teacher we would be looking at weeknight evenings or any time on Sat/Sun. Preferences?

I can’t do Thursdays because I run a D&D game at DMS on those nights.

I could swear I remember @mreynolds working on a lime green uke …

2 Likes

Anyone can do “Living in the Sunlight”?

Relatedly, I would come to a ukulele making class…

I’m only not available on Tuesday and Sunday nights, but of course don’t schedule things just around me. :slight_smile:

This is all great to know! I was thinking of trying to reserve a larger space to accommodate more folks. At the moment I am looking at a Wed or Fri night, or some time Saturday. Thanks all for the interest and input!

2 Likes

I’m interested and have a couple of beginner and intermediate level books I’ve not been able to get into yet. I’d love a weekly or bi-weekly class!

Count me in…

I would love to take part in a Ukulele class!! Please let me know when you decide to schedule them!!

Those days usually work well for me!