Interest in a Glass Committee

Have a great trip! Lets talk when you get back.

If you are not back by the vote date, Ill be happy to take your proxy vote.

Sounds great, Iā€™ll add a discussion agenda item for the May meeting.

Are you wanting to add the voting agenda item to the June FA meeting or call a wholly separate vote apart from the regular monthly meeting? Either is fine, just let me know.

I think a meeting just to vote would be great and quick ,set to happen 2 weeks after the May 23rd meeting.

This way people attending just to vote donā€™t have to attend a FA Committee meeting and wait.

I want to learn glass blowing ā€¦ is that something we might could do at some point?

Or how about this?

I would most definitely be interested in a Glass Committee.

I have some experience in lampworking and would love to help anyway I could.
I am a bit rusty and havnt done it a few months but I need to get back to it!

3 Likes

Capital Idea!
I would certainly like to get back into glass. My past interest was in painted glass and sandcarving.

1 Like

Glass is great! @ladysandry is our awesome lampworking instructor that can get you cleared to use DMS tools.

2 Likes

We have been discussing a 2.0 lamp working class. Marbles, fish, turtles. Hopefully We will able to get some classes scedualed once GlassWorks has been given space with the expansion.

4 Likes

That Dragon is beautiful! At this time we donā€™t have a glass blowing instructor. We would also need to reaseach the equipment needed.

I think all you need for the dragon is the same stuff weā€™ve got for lampworking.

Glass blowing is probably Right Out. Iā€™m thinking weā€™d need a professional instructor, at a minimum. It is easy to kill yourself with that kind of heat. If we did it, we probably wouldnā€™t get a furnace as big as the one the glassblower out at Scarborough. Theirs takes 3 days to heat up to temp, and 3 day to cool. So, for every class, youā€™re looking at a couple of days warm up, and ditto cool down (assuming a smaller furnace takes less time to heat). Iā€™m thinking that would need a dedicated room, because itā€™s Damn Hot at temp. (2000-ish F).

So ā€“ expensive, deadly, and a big space sucker.

1 Like

Here is a rough pass at the wiki page - enough to meet the committee requirements, but it should be improved:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/GlassWorks

The Board does not approve a committee. The formation of committees is governed by these
4 requirements. https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Committees
All four requirements have now been met.

The Board of Directors does approve the chairperson, which is generally nominated by the committee. The Board of Directors does approve funding - either as a grant or stipend. The Board of Directors does help arbitrate space allocation. The Board is important to the success of a committee, but it is the membership that truly drives itā€™s success.

@meanbaby @dryad2b @cmcooper0 @coloneldan @John_Marlow @nicksilva @mjp @ladysandry @Lampy

6 Likes

Thank you for the info Beth. I was told at my last assisted glass blowing class a studio furnaces can run as much as $35,000.00.

2 Likes

Thank you John! I appreciate everything you are dong to help get GlassWorks up and running.

1 Like

Thanks John for getting the wiki page setup. Looking forward to a successful committee.

For glassblowing we can probably get studio time and instructors at one of the several studios in the metroplex. A group discount would help with the cost! Several that I know about are Vetro (Grapevine), Dallas Glass Art (Dallas) and SiNaCa (Fort Worth).

Edit: added links to each studios website.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve taken the one on one project classes at Vetro, They are assisted glass blowing classes and well worth the trip.

4 Likes

My brain is trying to tell me that I saw a (probably not studio size) furnace for something like $15K -$20K. Still not cheap, by any means.

1 Like

There are 2 types of glass blowing, the traditional out of the furnace type and what was popular some years ago
at malls and such

The second type uses borosilicate glass, which is harder and works at a higher temp than out of the furnace glass
I am seeing it in high dollar beads and such today instead of cute animals of the past
We could likely manage to do the second type, It is limited to small itema

Science might well take an interest since it developed out of making scientific glassware

I found this on it

https://glassalchemy.com/blogs/the-formula/glass-blowing-an-introduction-to-modern-lampworking

I will try to get more information from a friend of mine that is a pro glass
blower in New Mexico He does both types

1 Like