Interest in a Glass Committee

To get straight to the point, we are trying to decide on a vote date to see it there is enough interest to separate glass from pottery and form its own Deptment.

Here are my thoughts,

1. Would a committee need to be in place at the time of the separation vote? Or can the date of actual separation be determination To happen at a later date? The vote should be scheduled at least 2 weeks out and put in the calendar.

2. take the vote first to see if there will be a separation.

3. Get with the Board to get their approval and department space request.

4. Then gather the interested people to get an official committee Chair vote . I may not be the only person interested in it.
    officers election must be posted 2 weeks prior to the vote.

5. Get some planning time scheduled for the vice chair and committee members to review what our department procedures will be.

6, Education time so we have people in place to help and advise when we do have a space.

Please post your concerns, ideas, and are you interest in being a committee member?

1 Like

I’m interested in being on a glass committee. I know of 3 others who do not get on Talk as well.

3 Likes

Edit on #5 Planning- at this point we also need to have an inventory in place of current equipment and tools. I’ll be happy to get this in place after a visit to storage.

1 Like

I have photos of all the donated items

1 Like

I taught one of the stained glass classes at DMS a while back. I’m also interested in a glass committee.

5 Likes

I’m interested in a glass committee.

3 Likes

I wholly support a glass committee.

Are you going to be at the May FA meeting? That’s when we choose the next month’s committee meeting date.

1 Like

Since this may effect your 6 month pan, I would like to request a date be set for a vote on Glass becoming its own separate dept from Pottery once the expansion is in place.

My hope is some space can be allocated for a new FA Glass department with electricity set up for the 4 glass kilns. My understanding is a vote has to take place first.

I have discussed with Kiris Anderson and several DMS members about running for FA Glass Chair if we can get a vote to pass.

4 Likes

I’m so glad you brought this up, I also think it is a smart idea considering the expansion and what all could be done if the two split. We already have a need to physically separate for safety concerns and we now have the tools to support a full program. It was definitely already going into the suggestion box!

Let’s put it down for the Six Month Plan Meeting discussion, something like ‘Support/Create/Advocate for new Glassworking committee’, and get a volunteer name attached to it. I assume you are groovy with heading that up? Then we can vote at the FA monthly meeting on May 23rd on splitting into two committees. It’s a quick turnaround but would allow for more planning and action time. An alternative would be to submit the idea for the S.M.P., continue to work on it, and vote at the June meeting. With expansion rolling ever forward, I would personally recommend May.

Edit: It should really be two items, the S.M.P action item that is a ‘working on it!’ vote and a separate agenda item to actually split off from Fired Arts. If you could submit that agenda item, I’ll put it on the official agenda and post a separate note about it on the event listing as well.

After FA votes whether to split off Glass Working, there are a few simple rules that must be followed to establish a committee (including Board approval).

You can see the rules here at this link.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link , , ,

1 Like

I may have given you bad advice.

The page I gave you may or may not have been updated when the Committee rules were revised. This link will give you the official committee rules.

Since it’s a bad idea to maintain the same information in two places, I removed all that information on the Committee Chair page and replaecd it with a link to the main Rules page (committees section).

However … both versions state that you need five members for a committee. I don’t know how many people you have for the committee, but if it drops below five the committee can’t continue to exist. You might want to make sure you have more than enough people before you try to make a new committee - even if that means you have to wait a few months.

3 Likes

Would a committee need to be in place at the time of the separation vote? Or can the date of actual separation be determination after the vote? The vote should be scheduled at least 2 weeks out and put in the calendar.

My thought were,

1. take the vote first to see if there will be a separation.

2. Get with the Board to get their approval and department space request.

3. Then gather the interested people to get an official committee vote for who would be chair person. I may not be the only person interested in it.
    officers elected must be posted 2 weeks prior to meeting. This vote also needs to be on the calendar.

4. Get some planning time scheduled for the vice chair and committee members to review what our department procedures will be.

5. Education time for the committee. We need to get interested committee persons trained, so we have people in place to help and advise when we do have a space.

Let’s take this to a new place as it’s eating up the 6 mo plan space

Taking the FA committee vote first to see if there will be a separation is (IMO) a good idea. Then set up your wiki as a prospective committee (per the link), get the interested parties to vote for a provisional chairperson, and then take it to the Board.

I don’t think the Board can’t approve a committee until it meets the requirements listed in that link (have a list of at least five names, and have your wiki page set up already). They can tell you what they think about it, but that’s all. I suggest that when you ask the Board to approve the committee, you should also ask them to approve the committee chair. If that committee chair needs to have purchasing authority, you should ask for that person to be authorized as a procurement officer at the same time. Be advised, however, that they’re trying to reduce the number of procurement officers. You should have a back-up plan of using an existing procurement officer, and who that would be.

Most importantly - you should ask them to authorize a specific dollar amount as a monthly stipend for your new committee. It should be a small amount - I’m guessing $200 or less. Christy should be able to tell you how much of a stipend FA gets and you can scale it from there.

The Board will expect you to discuss it as if it were a business; cost of operating it vs. expected revenue. They are not expecting you to make a profit but they need to understand what it takes for that committee to become self-sustaining financially. They won’t expect to see it in the strictest sense, but they will want to know what you need to spend to get up and running (as a separate committee), what you think your recurring consumables are (cost, strategy of recouping), and how you plan to offer classes to make some revenue so that ultimately you are self-sustaining.

Department space request. Fired Arts has already requested expansion space for glass-specific area. We’ll be considering that whether Glass is a separate committee or a Special Interest Group under FA.

2 Likes

MODERATOR NOTE: I moved some stuff around … which I’m sure created some confusion. I moved the posts in the 6 month plan topic to a new topic, then I saw you had already created one. And by that time a lot of people had already responded.

Things are going to look out of order for all the posts prior to this one.

Sorry for the confusion.

4 Likes

I would like this added to the agenda for the May FA meeting for discussion with the committee, to get the ball officially rolling.

Then, If possible , A date chosen, and added to the calendar for 2 weeks out for the actual vote. The May meeting is to sudden, our members need time to become aware of the intent to separate.

I plan to be at the May meeting, I am concern the attendance count may be low due to the pending holiday.

colonedan I will be in FA 4:30 to 7 pm tonight, then at the Members meeting. If you are onsite tonight lets talk.

Thank you John _Marlow!

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m in Houston for a while probably several more weeks.

Dan