Interest in 7/4 Pecan?

Does anyone have interest in a slab or two? I have several pieces ranging from 7’ x 10" all the way to 11’6x18". It’s been rough sawn and stickered for about 2.5 years. They came from a 100 year old Pecan tree that died in the neighborhood. They do have some warping from how they were stored before I got them. Given the tree wasn’t raised commercially, I’m sure there will be some bore holes, and other imperfections. I call it character, but you can call it what you want.

If someone is interested, I’ll donate a couple to the woodshop and all I ask is that you make a reasonable donation to woodshop. As long as that’s an acceptable method of donation by the committee. If not, we’ll work something out.

7 Likes

Yes. I’d be very interested. Thank you

I don’t know the best course of action would be here. Do you have an idea of a size you’re interested in? I can get a couple pieces there, but I’m sure no one wants a slab hanging around at the space without a plan in place for either near immediate removal or storage.

oooo…
Can I have one of the two short but wide slabs? (Either 2nd or 5th from the left)?

Are the two on the right bookmatched? I’m interested if so.

I’d be interested in the other of the two shorter slabs (whichever hardsuit didn’t want).

I’d say at this point, let’s work things out via private message. I only have two concerns, one is that the slabs are dealt with expediently once they’re at the shop and the other is that the woodshop gets something reasonable for the donation.

@Hardsuit I think #5 will be your huckleberry

@agvet I’ll slate #2 for you.

@MathewBusby I believe they are, however I’ll have to verify. There is a significant crack in the next to last (#7) that is approximately 12" in length from the bottom. It just means that #7 and #8 won’t be exactly bookmatched unless you deal with it.

I also want to be abundantly clear that when I used a couple pieces of this stuff, I had to thickness plane this down to 5/4 so that I had something straight. Just an FYI.

How about we work out a weekend, 2/24-26?, that I bring the slabs up to the space and they get dealt with?

I’ll slate #2 for you.

Neat, that’s the one I wanted any how. That check in the top looks cool to try some bowties on.

That weekend works for me.

I’d take any one that’s still available. Weekend of 24-26 works for me.

Are these all claimed? I was thinking of doing some pecan stuff with a few guitar body/necks and these look perfect.

4/4 is what I’d need for the neck so that’s totally cool, how wonky is it at 7/4?

I want to thank everyone for holding up their end of the bargain this weekend. The slabs were onsite around 11a on Saturday, and by that afternoon, they had been claimed and dealt with.

At other times when something like this goes down, there’s usually a straggler or two that can’t get their stuff together. I wanted to just show a little appreciation.

11 Likes

thank you sir. appreciate the delivery and sending $ to the shop. Im planning to make a planer jig to straighten it out this sunday if anyone is interested.

Please be really careful with this. I don’t know if it was you or someone else but there are multiple deep groves in the bed of the planer. Any screws that stick out will be bad for the machine. Also take into consideration that the feed rollers put pressure on the piece and can push the screws down.

got it. the plan is to glue a stop block to the back of the sled and use wedges and 2 sided tape to keep the slab in place. No metal. Like this but without the pad. Open to objections or suggestions.