Interest check: Mentor/SME/Help list?

Seeing if anyone would be interested in this:

So, on another thread, I brought up that I think it’d be useful if different areas had lists posted of folks/contacts that are willing to answer questions, mentor projects, happen to be subject matter experts on something, or just general go-to person that’d be a good contact for a new person until they get to know folks. And it’d be a resource for existing members expanding into areas that are new to them or particularly enjoy mentoring if asked.

As I mentioned in the other thread, as an example, the Dallas Handweavers Guild had a directory where members could opt in to have code letters (key in front) below their contact info that corresponded with various mediums they had experience in and willing to help others. Completely optional and voluntary. That way, for example, I have a bobbin lace question, I could scan until I found someone to ask. Very handy resource. It could be something pointed out on tours.

Soooo…if there is interest in trying this out, I’m volunteering to research/create/manage it.

My rough ideas (feel free to comment):

–What I am thinking is a separate specific sheet for each committee area so the list doesn’t get huge and can be more specific with special skills without a zillion categories of everything at dms crowding the form. I figure usage, folks will be in that area and just need that info anyway. Less to wade through, cleaner.

–use either code letters or columns/Xs with special skill categories

–determine skills listed by conferring with that committee or chair because I sooo don’t know some of the groups that thoroughly, so it’ll be specific to them and actually useful

–maybe an area with special skills (i.e. someone’s particularly skilled at Widgets)

–re contact info, person’s name and preferred contact method (and I’ll put my contact on there somewhere in the tiny print so if anyone wants off, just get hold of me and I’ll delete/reprint the list, no biggie)

–an area with blanks so people can manually add info and then I’ll periodically scoop all those up and enter/reprint. Or I can be contacted directly

–will periodically reprint/update and randomize the order so that it’s not always the first person with whatever skill always getting contacted, mix it around

My idea is for this to be a resource for when folks have a question or need help but not sure who is the best person to ask yet. And also for our members that particularly like mentoring and are happy to put themselves out for that.

I plan on keeping this REALLY simple so that I can keep it updated once I’ve got it set up so that it can stay pretty current and relevant. Resisting the Rube Goldberg system. We’re talking some initial research and then probably something spreadsheet based.

I’m cool doing all the work if y’all think it’d be useful, have committee buy-in, and not a waste of time.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions?

6 Likes

I would be willing to be on the list, I can answer questions, help folks find
the movers/shakers in some areas and help in others

I’d be interested in going down this path.

1 Like

I don’t mind being on the list for Dye Sub.

1 Like

Let me pitch in with my (mostly updated with modern stuff) coderwall

Obvioulsly, my area(s) of expertise mainly DevOPs(software develoment and IT) with a bit of Startup/IT management.

1 Like

Oh and a bit on the investment side of things too but since I do not have a series 7 licence anything I bring up is going to be generic and treated no better that if it came from your cousin’s brothers best friend’s neighborhood cat who sat on your step mother’s keyboard. (in other words google it, learn from investopedia/motley fool, and talk to your licensed financial adviser)

1 Like

I don’t need no stinkin s7 certimadoodle, I just put my entire 401k into Bitcoin. My cuz sez it’s gonna be worth millions.

2 Likes

My plan is I’m gonna start small (like ca) if @missydee1206 is cool with me guinea-pigging folks. Plus it has enough variety to be a good test. Get the bugs and process sorted out.

I’ll also keep track of random folks in other areas that let me know of their interest or that I think could be and will ask. A general list may be the starting point until we get a clump in a particular group big enough to need its own. Goal being folks don’t have to scan through oodles to find what they’re looking for

So if anyone is interested, regardless of group, lemme know here or pm, and once I get questions put together, I will get back to you. Or if a chair really wants me to do their group in the detailed fuller way, lemme know

Great then take that and put it all into this penny stock

:sunglasses: :rofl:

I’m happy to help people in Ceramics. We have a comm meeting in FA on Monday and can put together a list of skills/tools as well.

1 Like

Thanks! Can pm/email/text me info once you have it. Whatever’s easiest.

Important to make clear to folks, DON’T have to be an expert, just be willing to help. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking the info needed:

From committee:
general categories of skills and/or specific tools

Then for any person interested:

1. Name
  2. Preferred contact method(s)
  3. Which categories they could help/mentor
  4. Any special related focus, skills, or obsessions
  5. Any other areas/committees they might mentor (might be useful later)
  6. Typical time/days (if any) they are more likely to be at the space (or random, or flexible)

TIA!