Interest check -- leatherwork knife sheath class

@bitta had a nice one. We still have the books she handed out.

Yā€™all are welcome to post any of the info I had put together for that Leather Basics handout. The conversion charts for leather weights are always good to have handy as well as the diagrams/descriptions of the cuts when youā€™re looking to buy leather. I can forward a digital copy of it as well if anybody wants it, just let me know where.

2 Likes

At one point I had stuck copies of this info inside the Leatherworking Cabinet doors. I have no idea if these guides are still there, but if not, having them restored would be handy.

They are still there. As are the old handbooks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested in the class as well. Iā€™ll keep checking the calendar for it

Alas, there is no way to sign up for notifications. Iā€™d check daily. You can narrow things down by clicking Categories, and Leatherworking. Although, we teachers arenā€™t well trained in Calendar/Event nuances, and some times the category isnā€™t checked correctly. Right now the Calendar is so slim that itā€™s easy to scan the whole thing.

1 Like

Or you can cheat like me and download the app that a member made. :smirk: He made an Apple and Android version. Donā€™t know if heā€™s still a member, but itā€™s how I know immediately what the new classes are when the go live. :smiling_imp:

Here is the one in the Apple App Store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dms-new-events/id1482515455

NICE!! That would be super handyā€¦

@bitta
Your document is fantastic. Can you shoot it to me? Iā€™ll make sure it gets to @jnorine. I will also attach it to the wiki and put it on the committee drive. Thank you

[email protected]

1 Like

If itā€™s the same document as the bound ones that live in the cabinet, I already have it - and weā€™re incorporating it into the new mega document for the eventual Moodle.

Donā€™t worry about adding it to the wiki right now, as things are a-changing.

2 Likes

Thread bump. two classes are available on the DMS calendar evening on the 24th and 25th.

3 Likes

will they go live in 2 days?

1 Like

if you attended the classes monday / tuesday if you could pm me. im new to instructoring and forgot to take attendance etc. i want to make sure that i get everyone cleared in the permissions.

thanks to everyone that came out, there will likely be a new class up on the board in a week or two for everyone else still interested. thanks!

1 Like

Just as an aside - with the pending passage of the permitless carry law seems like holsters (especially concealed) would be a hot item class. Iā€™d do it except for one thing - I donā€™t want to :rofl:

2 Likes

I would love a holster class not for carry but for competition. Some of the competitions itā€™s really nice to have something you make yourself so itā€™s customized to your unique needs.

1 Like

thats actually something that someone brought up in my knife class re: holsters for competitive shooting

The skill sets learned in the knife sheath class are absolutely transferable, and since the first sheath anyone makes is typically a lil messy / needs a rework itā€™s better off just making a knife sheath first, and then doing a 2nd and 3rd attempt.

heck, you could even make a molded electronic device holster even. easy peasy.

i did something similar to this (although obviously not as nice as the video) everyone tends to bring in different knives which really helps us kinda open up to all the possibilities and designs that come out of this general plan. we typically dont always finish the sheaths but they leave with more than enough knowledge on how to finish or remake them in the near future.

2 Likes