Interest Check: Game Development SIG

Interest check for all of us [aspiring] indie game developers/artists, wondering if anyone has gone down this route before and whether or not this SIG would flourish. I have seen a smattering of game dev type threads here, so figured I’d ask. I sorta see it as a good way to meet/engage with like minded folks and maybe even get together with an artist who would like to work on a project. Questions, concerns, comments?

5 Likes

FYI ~ I moved this thread from “uncategorized” to the #classrooms:interest-check category for better visibility since “uncategorized” does not show up on the default “latest” view showing the most recent posts.

I’d be interested. My main areas of game-creation interest are JavaScript, HTML5, Scratch, PHP and Python.

1 Like

I’d love to support and join this SIG.

Fyi, @Team_VCC has a demoparty coming up.

What schedule are you planning of having a meetup? Would there be a focus on a set of tools or just game dev in general?

1 Like

Yes! I’m definitely interested in such a thing!

2 Likes

Count me in. My background is specifically in alternate reality games so developers of that stripe, or anyone who’s interested in the topic, let’s get together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dwight wants group projects in his Python class. Some of us are thinking about implementing a game.

2 Likes

Sounds like fun, my knowledge in that field is limited at best. But I am always enthusiastic about learning new things. And am a wonderful game tester

2 Likes

I’d be interested. I always wanted to learn to make some simple smartboard games and things

1 Like

So I posted this and got busy at work and with other projects. I will do some research as to what an SIG would entail. Need to weigh if I can take on the effort to make it successful if I work to start it.

The easiest thing is to just call a meeting, see who shows up and what their interests are. Game development is a big and diverse field; you may not be able to get critical mass on any particular category or engine.

1 Like

Honestly, I kinda saw it is a group for folks with a project/looking for a project to meet up and exchange info/find a project to slot into. With the talent for art and software at the space I think we could see some cool stuff come out of it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be looking to join/recruit on projects (unless they’re paid) but I would love to join if there were also a focus on gamedev education. I’d love to begin attending and teaching classes on the subject.

3 Likes