Interest check for a basic beginner computer class

Computer basics for beginners and those new to using a computer.

I don’t know if this has already been done/ if it’s being done, but I did not see a class for it so I wanted to ask if there would be any interest in this class.

Computer basics in this age is a bit of an esoteric concept. What specifically would one look for to get out of the class?

Ask @StanSimmons about me … he dissuade you of your doubts.

1 Like

Identifying the basic parts of a computer, how to get on the internet, how to go to websites, and all that kind of very basic stuff.

I work in tech support and every day I get questions like
What’s a browser
How do I get to my email
Where do I go to to open a website.

I thought it might be nice if there was a course for computer illiterates to learn these basic things to get themselves started.

1 Like

Then may I suggest posting up signs at the space with a pen attached as an interest check instead of posting on the Internet?

3 Likes

I face palmed for not thinking of this sooner. Great idea!

1 Like

@LyRaMi
My advice will run slightly contrary, in that I don’t think you need an interest check, and plenty of us would be interested. Just put the class on the calendar, and then post signs (in acceptable places - see PR) around the space. Start rumors that something bitchin’ will be happening, but only a select few are allowed to attend.
I predict people will come.
The hard part would be if you want honorarium, getting folks signed up so you can have enough “registered attendees” being that if they can do that, they [probably] aren’t interested…

1 Like

I had this thought as well. Many people that do not have those skills are older people. Most all of the younger crowd can run circles around most people. So, the target may be middle to older. Many are intimidated by it and have decided that it wasn’t worth the trouble. Some want to but haven’t been given the opportunity. I’m with @jast … Schedule it and post some signs around when and where. If you are going for Honorarium be sure to choose the option to allow registration 30 minutes into class. That can be one of the learning tasks perhaps. :wink:

1 Like

Also, check with Stan @StanSimmons about using the new notebooks. I’m not certain they are ready but it might be good to get some computers ready. It is always a pain to find all the bits and make sure they login and work.

1 Like

ah… ok so something like what the local library offers.

https://www.cityofirving.org/1755/Computer-Classes