Interest Check: Enameling Jewelry

Enameling class covering basic processes for enameling jewelry using torch fire (and hopefully kiln) methods. You’d would leave the class with at least one complete project. Likely, a minimum of two finished artworks. We can also cover basic jewelry sawing/piercing at this time.

Class fee would be around $20-$30 each, less if we have more than 5 folks sign up. Held on a Saturday/Sunday in September (not labor day weekend)

1 Like

Yes, but I’d hope the fee would come down.

I’m interested in learning torch fire enameling. The cost works for me and is probably about what I paid for a kiln enameling class.

2 Likes

Also wanted to add that for 2 finished pieces the cost is great IMHO. Christmas is coming up and that’s not a bad price at all for handmade gifts.

1 Like

I’m interested in this, and the price is more than reasonable.

1 Like

Joseph would have to be willing to use committee funds to buy materials for it to come down…or we only order one or two colors. That price isn’t making a profit. Of course if we have a larger group the split is smaller. Enameling powders are expensive even with my work pricing and I have not managed to get sponsorship for it. While I’ve heard rumors DMS has some I didn’t see them anywhere.

1 Like

When we had the kiln enameling class we paid a similar fee and I believe the teacher brought her own supplies.

1 Like

@Kati taught an enameling class not that far back. She might can elaborate on logistics

1 Like

The committee does have a collection of enamels and some supplies. We can discuss at the committee meeting Wed. and iron out the details for a class.

4 Likes

We have some enamels and I have others and so does Sue, so unless 'we need huge amought
we likely have enough that should help with the cost

and I would be interested

I have taught some enameling workshops this year in Jewelry/Small Metals and actually had a Torch Firing Enameling Class set up for last weekend Sunday, July 23rd but had to cancel due to family. I will be teaching more too ;). I taught enameling workshops with a kit fee of $10.00 and the colors are $3 -$4 a color depending on which one since some are more expensive. I’m happy to catch up with you all on this at the Weds meeting :wink:

4 Likes

I charged $10.00 for the kit fee and $3.00 -$4.00 a color depending on which one :slight_smile: I did bring quite a bit of my own materials and equipment slowing helping build up the DMS supplies as funds would allow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I need to see what I can do in torch fired beads, If my vision makes it hard
I will be willing to donate a good size selection of enamels, I even have some
leaded white frit, there is a special technique that it is needed for

I ho[e to at least be able to teach classes==I had planed t wprl
on them this week, but with hubby in hospital, things are postponed

Sweet. Yes, we can totally talk at the meeting.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested–when would you put it on the schedule? I’d hate to miss out due to a small class size. Maybe allow more students?

When I go back to work next week I’ll have my schedule and will post it for a weekend in September most likely. I’ll put the class at 10 or so. The jewelry area can get tight but I think rotating between the two we can make it work

1 Like

Missed you at the meeting last night! Found out one other member has a membership to Rio and agreed to let an order go through her account for an additional discount. I’ll try to get something organized but will be busy the next few days. If you want to take it over I’m be glad for you to.

Oh yeah, re: small class size, we might be getting some additional room in jewelry/ small metals.

1 Like

They announced I’m going back to work a week early and I got sucked into syllabus land. When I looked up it was already midnight :joy: Silver lining is I get access a week early so I can get the equipment!

I will call Rio Friday and see what’s up and will be there all day teaching a morning class and an evening so I’ll work on it.