Interest Check: Electric Guitar Building 101

Hey folks!
I’m a new member at DMS and in a past life I was a hobbyist guitar builder. My biggest personal goal with DMS was to start building again and at orientation they said if we had something we could teach that we should!

People often see guitar building as something as dificult as a violin with images of a million clamps and tons of points of possible failure.

Building an electric guitar is INCREDIBLY easy. Leo Fender designed them to be constructed like an assembly line., be cheap to build, and to repair.

Like any wood project a guitar can be made with hand tools and a ton of patience, and more complex designs need considerably more skill… but the most popular guitars in the world (Telecaster, Stratocaster, Les Paul) can be 80% made with a router and clever jigs.

I’m starting to build my own jigs and purchase many of the more complex/specialty tools and I’ve seen a few signs of other Luthiers in the shop as well as some amazing projects posted on the forum. I’m thinking of forming a Special Interest Group so we could share tools/jigs/advice so it would need more builders like me.

I was thinking of teaching a class kind of “TV Cooking Style” where I go over the various parts, methods, strategies and pitfalls. I could either do it totally as a lecture with all the parts in various stages of a build which wouldn’t require actually doing work in the woodshop (so those that haven’t taken the basics yet could attend)

or be more hands on with live demos of the various methods/setups.

Besides finishing (paint/stain) and fret leveling/filing (which is a learned skill in it’s own right) I can build an entire guitar with just a router and my templates in about 30/45 minutes. So I think I could do the class in about 2 hours.

I’m going to be building a handful of guitars over the next 2 months so figured it would be a good time to setup a curriculum, take photos, make demos, and generally shake out the rust.

If this sounds interesting or you have advice I’d love to know!

-D

7 Likes

I’d like to see the process and add a home made guitar to my little collection. Interested!

1 Like

This soundsd like a great idea!

I would find this interesting.
Not being a woodworker (have taken woodshop basics)
Nor a guitar player.
I built this, then learned how to play it.

Would be interested in something similar to a Fender Strat.
Had one a long while back, but it was stolen.

Need/want help with photo docs, PM me.
I did this for @wandrson dulcimer build/class.

3 Likes

Would be very interested. Woodworker and amature working musician…

Interested too. I’ve made a few cigar box guitars over the past few years.

I’d take the class. Always wanted to make a musical instrument and a guitar would be awesome.

I would be interested in a class. Out of curiosity, have you ever made an acoustic guitar? How difficult would one of those be to make?

Awesome! I’m glad so many folks are up for it!

This month I’m making the templates for a strat, tele, and les paul.
I’ll have the templates for single coil, humbuckers, bridges, neck pockets, and at least 3 neck scales.
I’m building a neck shaping jig for the router table, and I think a fretboard radius jig for the belt sander.

I’m getting that super weird bit for the truss rod (7/32 wtf?)

This stuff will make it way way way easier for novices to make something that looks / plays great. I want to play with using the laser cutter to cut frets, I’ve seen good & bad results online. Even just marking them though would be helpful

As to the acoustic. I REALLY want to do one. The problem is I’ve become spoiled with quality woods so I’d try something with like figured walnut and ruin it and it would cost a ton. With an electric it’s all about prep & setup and you really have to try to mess it up.

With an acoustic you can breathe wrong and ruin it… So much time/effort/skill goes into each part, and each one needs the step before it. So you’re bending the sides and burn them, ruined… A slip while binding… ruined… Bad bridge placement… Ruined…

Im exaggerating and of course I’d keep one with all my newby mistakes but I was advised to get solid a bit more before trying.

There’s tons of plans online, Once I finish these two tele’s I’m working on I’d be up for working through the build with you on one for myself or we could both take a shot… Just remember we could be at step 185 of 300 and ruin it…

We could use some cheap woods and have one for about $200-$300. Better woods = more expensive. You can see the crazy range/options here

Just a basic top: $32

Full kit: $460

2 Likes

The acoustic guitar would have my interest. I would resaw my own wood though and save on that. I have several beautiful exotic boards I could use.

Absolutely interested. I’m a sucker for electric instruments, and adding a guitar would be awesome.

Heck yeah! Would like to build The Purple Rain guitar one day and this will be a good start!

My husband would definitely be interested in this class, he needs to get certified for all of the woodshop tools, though.

I would be definitely in, if only I could get around to that CNC test :blush:

1 Like